- Reading Area Community College, serving Berks County, is a publicly-supported, comprehensive community college which awards the Associate in Arts, the Associate in Applied Science and the Associate in General Studies degrees. Certificates and diplomas in employment fields are awarded as well.
- Enrollment: 3,924 students
- In-state tuition: $8,520
- Out-state tuition: $12,030
- Student:teacher ratio: 13:1
- Minority enrollment: 44%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Reading Area Community College is an open enrollment, fully accredited two-year educational institution that awards associate degrees in career and transfer programs. Affordable tuition costs are maintained through sponsorship by the County of Berks and support from the Pennsylvania Department of Education. Over 5,000 students are currently enrolled in credit courses on campus and over 25,000 people in Berks County participate annually in various non-credit vocational and continuing education training courses. Reading Area Community College was founded on October 1, 1971, and sponsored for 20 years by the Reading School District. Classes were held for the first time on October 13, 1971, with an enrollment of 265 students. The college operated from several buildings throughout Reading during its early years until it acquired the Holiday Inn (the current Berks Hall building) in 1978. In 1996, the college completed a campus expansion plan that transformed it into an attractive city-based campus. In the fall of 2002, enrollment was at a record high of 3,800 credit students. Reading Area Community College is approved by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as an institution of higher education, and is authorized to award the Associate in Arts Degree, the Associate in Applied Science Degree, the Associate in General Studies Degree, and the Certificate of Specialization, as well as appropriate diplomas and certificates. The Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education Philadelphia, has granted full accreditation to Reading Area Community College.