Northwestern Michigan College
Tel: (231) 995-1054
- Northwestern Michigan College is a community college established in 1951 in Traverse City, Michigan. Our enrollment for credited classes is approximately 5,000 students per semester. NMC offers associates degrees and professional certificates at our main campuses, and through our University Center, we grant baccalaureate and graduate degrees from 10 partner universities.
The teacher population of 172 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Northwestern Michigan College||(MI) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||172 staff||100 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- NMC is the country's only college to have a Maritime academy on fresh water. The Great Lakes Maritime Academy is located at the spectacular Great Lakes Campus located on the shores of Grand Traverse Bay, a long protected water of Lake Michigan. Maritime is one of six state maritime academies that receives aid from the federal Maritime Administration. The Great Lakes Campus also houses the Great Lakes Culinary Institute, the only culinary school in Northern Michigan. NMC is home to the Dennos Museum Center, the Rogers Observatory, the Water Studies Institute, and the Michigan Technical Education Center, which operates one of the few community college Aviation programs in the country. NMC's extensive extended education program offers a vast array of non-credit classes to over 10,000 local residents annually. NMC offers one Associate in Science & Arts (ASA) degree: General Liberal Arts & Sciences, that is designed as a degree to prepare students for transfer to four-year schools. This can combine courses from several academic areas. NMC offers several Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degrees and certificates through these Academic Areas: Aviation, Business, Bridge Program, Communications, Computer Information Systems (IT), Great Lakes Culinary Institute, Great Lakes Maritime Academy, Health Occupations, Humanities, M-TEC: Michigan Technical Education Center Physical Education, Science/Math and Social Science. The Dennos Museum Center at Northwestern Michigan College is the region's premier cultural facility offering both major exhibitions in the arts and sciences and live performances in jazz, blues, folk and world music by national and international artists. The museum averages 60,000 visits a year, holds one of the largest and most historically complete collections of Inuit art in the United States, and won the Governor's Arts Award for Arts and Culture in 2000.
The nearest community college to Northwestern Michigan College is Baker College of Cadillac (35.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,340 students | 35.80 Mi9600 E 13th St
Cadillac,  MI  49601
(231) 876-3101 35.801,340
- 2,527 students | 51.40 Mi1515 Howard St
Petoskey,  MI  49770
(888) 298-6605 51.402,527
- 1,477 students | 55.80 Mi4800 W 4 Mile Road
Grayling,  MI  49738
(989) 275-5000 55.801,477
- 1,330 students | 63.90 Mi3000 N Stiles Rd
Scottville,  MI  49454
(231) 845-6211 63.901,330
- 4,343 students | 68.70 Mi1375 S Clare Ave
Harrison,  MI  48625
(989) 386-6622 68.704,343
Learn about the steps you need to take to successfully transfer from a community college to a 4-year institution.
Online courses are an affordable and convenient alternative to attending a traditional university. With the advent of the first all-online community college in California, the world of community college is changing and changing quickly. Keep reading to learn more.
Many people view college campuses as bastions of free speech, but recent actions taken by some institutions of higher learning indicate that this may not always be the case.