Kirtland Community College
Kirtland Community College Photo #7 - Kirtland automotive program with a new Dodge Avenger donated by State Farm Insurance.
Kirtland Community College Photo #9 - Kirtland - Grayling, Health Science Center and Michigan Forest Products Institute buildings.
- Kirtland Community College is the largest community college geographically in the state of Michigan covering approximately 2,500 square miles and servicing all of Crawford, Ogemaw, Oscoda and Roscommon counties and parts of five additional surrounding counties. Kirtland has locations in Gaylord - MTEC, Grayling (our new Health Sciences Center and Michigan Forest Products Institute) and Roscommon, in addition to offering courses online.
- The teacher population of 26 teachers has declined by 16% over five years.
|Kirtland Community College||(MI) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||26 staff||100 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,511 students||3,505 students|
|# Full-Time Students||469 students||1,591 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,042 students||1,914 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate (Year 2015)|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,700||$30,600|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Bowling, Cross Country, GolfBowling, Cross Country,|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||7 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Biology Club, Criminal Justice Club, Hot Rod Automotive Club, Phi Theta Kappa, Service Learning, Veterans Helping Veterans
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Student Wellness Group
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Kirtland Community College was founded in 1966. Kirtland offers over 30 degree and certificate programs including transfer degree programs. Kirtland competes in intercollegiate athletics as a member of the Eastern Conference of the Michigan Community College Athletic Association. The Kirtland Firebirds compete in bowling, golf and cross-country. Kirtland Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The college also holds membership in the Michigan Community College Association and the American Association of Community Colleges. Kirtland has locations in Gaylord, Grayling (our new Health Sciences Center and Michigan Forest Products Institute) and Roscommon, in addition to offering courses online.
Profile last updated:
- The nearest community college to Kirtland Community College is North Central Michigan College (48.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,527 students | 48.50 Mi1515 Howard St
Petoskey,  MI  49770
- 1,636 students | 53.70 Mi665 Johnson St
Alpena,  MI  49707
- 4,502 students | 55.80 Mi1701 E Front St
Traverse City,  MI  49686
- 1,340 students | 57.20 Mi9600 E 13th St
Cadillac,  MI  49601
- 4,343 students | 57.20 Mi1375 S Clare Ave
Harrison,  MI  48625
We continue to report on the ongoing saga in the California community college system. Schools are now opening for fall semester with fewer courses due to serious budget cuts, and students are feeling the academic pain.
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.