New England Culinary Institute
Tel: (802) 223-6324
New England Culinary Institute Photo #2 - Annual High Mowing Seeds event that NECI students participate in.
- New England Culinary Institute (NECI) is one of the leading culinary schools in the United States. When we opened New England Culinary Institute (NECI) in 1980, we wanted to create a learning environment where students were asked to perform at the highest level possible from the very first day of school. Our culinary classrooms are not practice kitchens, but high-profit level restaurants, bakeries and retail outlets. This model did not exist when we began; we invented it. But what also sets us apart is NECI?s size. We are small by design. We have to be. In our minds, great hands-on learning does not take place in a lecture hall or demo kitchen for thirty students.And then there is the location of the school. Vermont is at the forefront of a farm to table revolution. Farmers, artisan cheese makers ,brewers, wine makers, composters, organic seed producers, managers of CSA?s, distributors, members of the Vermont Fresh Network and the Vermont Chapter of the Slow Food Movement, the chef members of the Vermont Chapter of the American Culinary Federation, the staff at the Vermont Agency of Agriculture?these folks and many others are part of a growing community of food activists changing the way food is produced, distributed and consumed in the state and beyond. Together they provide a unique learning environment for NECI students who, through field trips and work opportunities arranged by the school, experience firsthand the exciting changes taking place, and learn skills not easily attained anywhere else.
- The teacher population of 29 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|New England Culinary Institute||(VT) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Less than 2 yrs|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||29 staff||81 staff|
|Number of Programs Offered||8||8|
|Total Enrollment||422 students||482 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1||19:1|
|# Full-Time Students||338 students||369 students|
|# Part-Time Students||84 students||113 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||350|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||72%||78%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||-||-|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||-||-|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- New England Culinary Institute has been an innovator and a leader in the field of culinary education for over 30 years. As you get to know us, you will discover some of the distinctive features that have defined NECI since it was founded in 1980.Most fundamental to our educational philosophy is our focus on the student. NECI?s primary mission is to provide every student with meaningful opportunities to attain the skills and knowledge necessary for success and advancement within the hospitality industry. To ensure this success, NECI has small classes that are designed to make certain that each student receives the kind of instruction and personal attention he or she needs in order to develop a competitive edge within the fast-paced and ever-changing industry.In addition to the advantages of small class size, our classes are taught by instructors who are highly skilled professionals as well as effective teachers. NECI seeks out talented chefs and restaurateurs with an interest and an aptitude for teaching. Our chef instructors constantly receive feedback about their teaching skills, based in part on student evaluations.NECI students also track their own development, skill acquisition and growth through a unique, non-punitive self-evaluation system. In addition to helping students master industry-specific skills and knowledge, teachers measure student performance in a wide range of areas specific to each program. In all programs, instructors measure time management, teamwork, organizational skills, professionalism and use of the senses. Unlike other culinary schools, NECI will never have large programs. Our administrators and faculty recognize that the learning process is different for each student. Not only must classes be small, but overall programs must be formulated in order to allow the staff and administrators to know each student individually. Frequent testimonials from our graduates and their employers continually renew our belief in the value and advantages of this kind of education.One final comment about NECI: everyone at the school ? students, faculty, staff, and administrators ? is proud of the ideals that are inherent in the school?s philosophy. We know that the ongoing challenge is to constantly renew everyone?s understanding of our educational philosophy while at the same time, adapt to the ever-changing conditions in the dynamic industry of which we are a part.
- The nearest community college to New England Culinary Institute is Woodbury College (1.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 132 students | 1.70 Mi660 Elm St
Montpelier,  VT  05602
(802) 229-0516 1.70132
- 1,542 students | 23.60 Mi1 Main Street
Randolph Center,  VT  05061
(802) 728-1000 23.601,542
- 116 students | 28.80 Mi16 Sterling Drive
Craftsbury Common,  VT  05827
(802) 586-7711 28.80116
- 5,844 students | 34.50 Mi1 Abenaki Way
Winooski,  VT  05404
(802) 828-2800 34.505,844
- 3,585 students | 34.90 Mi246 S. Willard St
Burlington,  VT  05401
(802) 860-2700 34.903,585
Learn about mentoring programs at community colleges around the country and the benefits they offer to students.
The millennial generation is assumed to be entitled, lazy, and tech-obsessed. When you graduate from college, you may find yourself working against these stereotypes to land your first job. Keep reading to learn some tips for breaking those millennial stereotypes.
If capturing a moment in time calls to you, then consider developing your photography career starting at your community college. Learn about how community colleges can train and prepare you for a career in photography.