Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City
- Located in a serene setting overlooking Longview Lake, Longview Community College is an artist's delight with its picturesque landscape surrounded in part by the white fencing that encircled the historic Longview Farm in its day.
The teacher population of 595 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City||(MO) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate's Colleges: High Transfer-High Traditional||Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||595 staff||62 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The history of Longview Community College is closely connected to the R.A. Long family. Long was a pioneer lumber baron whose country home, the magnificent Longview Mansion, was the focal point of the Longview Farm. In 1968, Long's daughters donated a 146-acre tract of land, formerly part of the Longview Farm, to the District for the purpose of building a college. The District targeted 1969 as the opening date. Over the years, Longview has built a tradition of excellence with its premier Program for Adult College Education (PACE), a nationally-acclaimed Automotive Technology program, exceptional Engineering and Human Services programs, and Writing Across the Curriculum. The writing program garnered national recognition for the college in 2001 when Longview was honored as a TIME magazine/ The Princeton Review "College of the Year" (the first community college to receive the honor). In 2003, Longview was designated by the New Media Consortium as a New Media Center for its innovation in the use of technology for teaching and learning. As a comprehensive system, the colleges offer transfer programs and nearly 70 occupational programs ranging from automotive technology to veterinary technology. The student body is characteristic of community college enrollments; students and staff reflect the ethnicity of the diverse local population. In addition, Longview has gained recognition for its ABLE program, which serves students with learning disabilities and brain injuries; Phi Theta Kappa honor society; and an award-winning Forensics program. A strong Community Education program offers noncredit learning opportunities for children, adults, and special populations.
The nearest community college to Metropolitan Community College-Kansas City is Concorde Career College-Kansas City (0.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 606 students | 0.10 Mi3239 Broadway
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 531-5223 0.10606
- 586 students | 4.40 Mi608 N 18th St
Kansas City, KS 66102
(913) 621-8700 4.40586
- 638 students | 6.20 Mi8955 E 38th Terrace
Kansas City, MO 64129
(816) 861-1000 6.20638
- 852 students | 6.70 Mi1775 Universal Avenue
Kansas City, MO 64120
- 221 students | 8.80 Mi10301 Hickman Mills Dr.
Kansas City, MO 64137
(816) 331-5700 8.80221
Community colleges are quickly becoming a key competitor against four year universities – and for many good reasons! Learn about why more students are opting to enroll in their local community college, rather than going straight to four year institutions.
Hunting for a job is always nerve-wracking but even more so in the aftermath of a global pandemic. Read on to learn some job-hunting tactics and tips for remote interviewing.
May 18, 2021
The world was ill-prepared to find itself in the midst of a global pandemic and the effects of the past year will linger for many years to come. No industry was unaffected and the pandemic brought to light inequities in many, particularly the U.S. education system. Read on to learn how the pandemic has affected community colleges and what students can expect in the future.