Marymount California University
- The mission of Marymount College is to prepare students for the acquisition of the Associate's degree and successful transfer to a four-year college or university.
- The teacher population of 65 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Marymount California University||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||4 or more years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||65 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,108 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,050 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||58 students||5,903 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||1,033 students||1,490 students|
|# Graduate Students||17 students||80 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||144|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$39,200||$34,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Marymount College is a distinctive institution: it is the only independent college in Southern California solely devoted to the liberal arts and granting an Associate in Arts and an Associate in Science degree. The College was founded in 1932, and continues to build upon its value-centered foundation within the Catholic tradition of American higher education. Founded in 1932 by the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, Marymount College is a Catholic college that welcomes students of all faiths. It is the only private, coeducational two-year liberal arts college in California. In 1960, the College moved to a site on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. The new campus included dormitories for on-campus residential living, an auditorium, dining facility, a library and a chapel. The year 1967 found the College preparing for a merger with Loyola University of Los Angeles in Westchester. Marymount separated its two-year program, which remained on the Palos Verdes campus, from the four-year and in 1968 the four-year college moved to the Loyola campus. The Marymount two-year program remained incorporated as a separate institution and received accreditation as such in 1971. In 1973, the merger was finalized and became a new entity: Loyola Marymount University (LMU). The college is accreditated by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- The nearest community college to Marymount California University is Los Angeles Harbor College (4.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 10,145 students | 4.60 Mi1111 Figueroa Place
Wilmington,  CA  90744
- 310 students | 4.60 Mi272 S Fries Ave l Los Angeles Harbor
Wilmington,  CA  90744
- 1,136 students | 7.50 Mi2161 Technology Place
Long Beach,  CA  90810
- 252 students | 10.30 Mi1600 East Hill St
Signal Hill,  CA  90755
- 24,207 students | 10.40 Mi16007 Crenshaw Blvd
Torrance,  CA  90506
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.