Maryland college of art and design
Tel: (301) 649-4454
- The School of Art and Design, through the award of the Associate of Fine Arts degree and the continuing education program, is committed to teaching and learning through an intensive, structured, and sequential program of studio arts and general education, and through enrichment classes. SA+D assists you in the development of your artistic ability at your individual level of aesthetic understanding and technical skill. The School's programs are designed to give degree and enrichment students a wide range of opportunities to grow in awareness and skills to continue their art education at a higher level, to pursue a career in an arts related field, or to continue creating art as an avocation. The School of Art and Design stresses a life time commitment to developing the gift of creativity and sharing that gift with others in an always expanding community.
|Maryland college of art and design||(MD) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Median Debt for Graduates||-||-|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||-||-|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The School of Art and Design at Montgomery College (SA+D) began in 1957 as Maryland College of Art and Design. It continues today as a community of artists providing education – the AFA degree and non-degree courses - in the visual arts to residents of the surrounding area. The institution grew from an informal arts center to a professional, accredited, degree-granting college and then to join Montgomery College in 2004, without changing the supportive environment that makes this educational institution unique. As a community of artists — students and professionals — working together, all of us here at SA+D are committed to helping one another advance toward our individual career, educational, and artistic goals.This spirit of cooperation and support has been a hallmark of this art school experience for over 47 years. The School of Art and Design at Montgomery College is perfect for you if you are looking for an art school experience—a structured studio intensive program for art majors who are committed to studying art and planning to transfer to a four-year art institution. The School of Art and Design courses and program are located at 10500 Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring, Maryland. This artists' community environment includes studio classrooms, faculty offices, and student lounge within the same building. In addition to drawing, painting and design studios, our facilities also include a black and white photography lab and two fully equipped G5 Macintosh computer graphics labs with industry-standard hardware and software, including Quark XPress, Dreamweaver, Flash, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Our facilities also include display areas for ongoing student work, a library, a career/transfer center and a professional artists' gallery which displays the work of local and regionally known artists. The close proximity of these components within the same building encourages conversation about art, education, and life among the students, faculty, and staff. Our small size and our focus on maintaining a collaborative learning community encourage enthusiastic and serious artistic growth. This is an environment where you'll have the opportunity to concentrate on developing and refining your individual creativity and talents, have easy access to your teachers, and form close and lasting relationships with other members of the School of Art and Design community: a diverse and dedicated group of individuals who all share your interest in art.
The nearest community college to Maryland college of art and design is TESST College of Technology-Beltsville (7.3 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 388 students | 7.30 Mi4600 Powder Mill Rd
Beltsville,  MD  20705
(301) 937-8448 7.30388
- 25,517 students | 7.80 Mi51 Mannakee Street
Rockville,  MD  20850
(240) 567-5000 7.8025,517
- 2,849 students | 12.20 Mi7777 Leesburg Pike
Falls Church,  VA  22043
(703) 821-8570 12.202,849
- 428 students | 12.60 Mi8620 Westwood Center Dr.
Vienna,  VA  22182
(703) 206-0508 12.60428
- 1,371 students | 12.70 Mi6565 Arlington Boulevard
Falls Church,  VA  22042
(703) 237-6200 12.701,371
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!