Island Drafting and Technical Institute
- Island Drafting and Technical Institute was founded in 1957, and is staffed by faculty members who have had professional and practical experience in the Engineering, Architectural, CADD (Computer Aided Drafting/Design) and Computer and Electronics fields. The Institute is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology, and is authorized to confer two-year Associate degrees by the New York State Board of Regents.
Island Drafting and Technical Institute places among the top 20% of community colleges in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- Completion Rates Highest completion rates
- The teacher population of 5 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Island Drafting and Technical Institute||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Institution Control||Private, for profit||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||5 staff||81 staff|
|Total Enrollment||103 students||1,701 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||21:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||103 students||1,163 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$43,600||$35,200|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Our aim is to graduate students well-trained and technically qualified so that they may enter their chosen field or continue their education at the baccalaureate or higher level. Island Drafting and Technical Institute has over 45 years of leadership and experience in preparing Long Islanders for careers. We have stayed abreast of the latest developments in the industry, and we have continued to provide the personal attention students need to succeed. IDTI also offers to industry, as well as to individual job-holders, skills training to improve on-the-job capabilities. Programs can be custom-designed for particular companies, in addition to the extensive program offerings regularly available. Island Drafting and Technical Institute was recently re-accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT). IDTI has been accredited by the ACCSCT and by its predecessor organization, the Accrediting Commission of the National Association of Trade and Technical Schools, since 1967.
Profile last updated:
- The nearest community college to Island Drafting and Technical Institute is Farmingdale State College (5.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 8,394 students | 5.60 Mi2350 Broadhollow Road
Farmingdale,  NY  11735
- 240 students | 7.10 Mi320 S. Service Road
Melville,  NY  11747
- 687 students | 8.60 Mi305 North Service Road
Huntington Station,  NY  11746
- 22,374 students | 9.90 MiOne Education Dr
Garden City,  NY  11530
- 851 students | 10.50 Mi6801 Jericho Tpk
Syosset,  NY  11791
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.