Farmingdale State College
- Farmingdale State College plays a critical role not just in teaching its students, but in shaping them. At Farmingdale, you will enjoy small, personalized classes that prepare you for a successful career through the use of real-world technologies and critical thinking. Whether it's working alongside award-winning faculty in a research laboratory or experiencing a hands-on internship, Farmingdale is a place where knowledge is a path to achievement and discovery. The College prepares students to be real-life problem solvers in traditional as well as emerging fields so that, upon graduation, their contributions to the economic vitality of the region, state, and nation are demonstrated. The educational experience at the College is centered on building a foundation of knowledge along with an appreciation of culture, ethics, aesthetics, and diversity that empowers the graduate for continuous intellectual and personal development throughout life. The dedicated faculty and staff create a supportive environment in which teaching and learning take place through research and service.
Farmingdale State College places among the top 20% of community colleges in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 381 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Farmingdale State College||(NY) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||381 staff||81 staff|
|Total Enrollment||8,394 students||1,701 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||22:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||6,287 students||1,163 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,107 students||538 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||600||451|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$52,100||$35,200|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The nearest community college to Farmingdale State College is SBI Campus-An Affiliate of Sanford-Brown (1.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 240 students | 1.80 Mi320 S. Service Road
Melville,  NY  11747
- 687 students | 4.20 Mi305 North Service Road
Huntington Station,  NY  11746
- 103 students | 5.60 Mi128 Broadway Rte 110
Amityville,  NY  11701
- 851 students | 5.80 Mi6801 Jericho Tpk
Syosset,  NY  11791
- 22,374 students | 8.50 MiOne Education Dr
Garden City,  NY  11530
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.