Community College of Rhode Island
- The Community College of Rhode Island is the state’s only public comprehensive associate degree-granting institution. We provide affordable open access to higher education at locations throughout the state. Our primary mission is to offer recent high school graduates and returning adults the opportunity to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for intellectual, professional and personal growth through an array of academic, career and lifelong learning programs. We meet the wide-ranging educational needs of our diverse student population, building on our rich tradition of excellence in teaching and our dedication to all students with the ability and motivation to succeed. We set high academic standards necessary for transfer and career success, champion diversity, respond to community needs, and contribute to our state’s economic development and the region’s workforce.
- The teacher population of 505 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Community College of Rhode Island||(RI) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||505 staff||200 staff|
|Total Enrollment||17,553 students||2,922 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||35:1||29:1|
|# Full-Time Students||5,272 students||2,461 students|
|# Part-Time Students||12,281 students||461 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$33,000||$33,000|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- In January, 1960, the Rhode Island Junior College state system was established by an act of the Rhode Island General Assembly. The legislation closely followed the recommendation of a Commission to Study Higher Education, which called for the establishment of a statewide system of junior college campuses with facilities in the Pawtuxet Valley, Blackstone Valley and Mount Hope areas of Rhode Island. The Knight Campus is located on 205 acres adjacent to Routes 95 and 295 in Warwick. All academic facilities at this campus are housed under one roof, a futuristic megastructure which encourages social, educational and cultural exchanges among the entire student body. The design of the megastructure reflects the philosophy of the Community College of Rhode Island, which stresses interaction among students from all fields of study. Athletic facilities are located in a separate field house. Community College of Rhode Island offers programs in academic and vocational-technical areas as well as a full complement of programs and services for full and part-time students, for recent high school graduates and for older, adult learners. Community College of Rhode Island grants the Associate in Arts (A.A.), the Associate in Science (A.S.), the Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.), the Associate in Applied Science in Technical Studies (A.A.S.-T.S.) and the Associate in Fine Arts (A.F.A.) degrees. Several one-year certificates are also awarded.
- The nearest community college to Community College of Rhode Island is New England Institute of Technology (4.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,922 students | 4.80 MiOne New England Tech Boulevard
East Greenwich,  RI  02818
(401) 739-5000 4.802,922
- 9,189 students | 18.70 Mi777 Elsbree St
Fall River,  MA  02720
(508) 678-2811 18.709,189
- 1,883 students | 22.60 Mi742 Upper Maple St
Danielson,  CT  06239
(860) 932-4000 22.601,883
- 1,299 students | 26.20 Mi99 Main Street
Franklin,  MA  02038
(508) 541-1508 26.201,299
- 4,259 students | 35.00 Mi574 New London Turnpike
Norwich,  CT  06360
(860) 215-9016 35.004,259
Learn about how budgetary constraints are prompting community colleges to only offer four-day school weeks.
Learn about how you can pursue a degree and career in the entertainment industry by starting at your local community college.
Learn about the variety of mentoring programs available in community colleges, and why you may want to be involved as a mentee or mentor.