Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service
- The mission of the Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service is to prepare students for entry level positions in the funeral service profession. The Institute accomplishes this mission through offering the Associate of Applied Science Degree and the Certificate in Funeral Directing. The Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service has fulfilled this mission since 1936 and will continue to do so in the future.
Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service places among the top 20% of community colleges in Texas for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 6 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||6 staff||76 staff|
|Total Enrollment||228 students||3,921 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||38:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||208 students||1,055 students|
|# Part-Time Students||20 students||2,866 students|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$38,500||$33,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service is a vocational, post secondary teaching institution with its primary purpose being to educate individuals interested in the subjects comprising the mortuary arts and sciences curriculum as set out by the American Board of Funeral Service Education for licensure and a career in funeral service, embalming, or both. In 1936 Mr. R. Victor Landig accepted this challenge and opened the Landig College of Mortuary Science in Houston , Texas . The Landig College of Mortuary Science immediately became recognized as one of the leading and most respected colleges of Mortuary Science in the United States. In 1955 Mr. Landig had plans to move his college to Commonwealth Street located in downtown Houston, however personal health problems stopped Mr. Landig's plan of a new school on Commonwealth Street, however the new name was retained, the Commonwealth College of Science. Commonwealth Institute begins with a state-of-the-art learning facility, which includes preparation facilities for practical technical training. Our unique affiliation with Baylor College of Medicine, the University of Texas Medical School, and Harris County Department of Social Services allow students participation in over 1000 annual “real-life” funeral service experiences. Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service offers the Associate of Applied Science Degree in Funeral Service, General Education Courses and Certificate in Funeral Directing. Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council of Recognition of Post Secondary Accreditation and the U.S. Office of Education.
- The nearest community college to Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service is Universal Technical Institute of Texas Inc. (1.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,998 students | 1.10 Mi721 Lock Haven Dr.
Houston,  TX  77073
- 334 students | 1.20 Mi711 East Airtex Dr
Houston,  TX  77073
- 415 students | 2.90 Mi11310 Greens Crossing Blvd, Ste 300
Houston,  TX  77067
- 430 students | 11.90 Mi7070 Allensby
Houston,  TX  77022
- 1,552 students | 13.30 Mi240 Northwest Mall
Houston,  TX  77092
Do you have a right to use profanity on campus? Read about one community college that is fining its students for cussing.
The current state of the United States education system is up in the air as COVID-19 spreads across the nation. Graduating high school seniors may find it necessary to change their plans for the fall of 2020 and many are considering a gap year.
In the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, businesses around the country are facing setbacks - colleges included. Read on to learn more about the impact of the pandemic on higher education in the United States.