Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service
- The mission of the Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service is to prepare students for entry level positions in the funeral service profession. The Institute accomplishes this mission through offering the Associate of Applied Science Degree and the Certificate in Funeral Directing. The Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service has fulfilled this mission since 1936 and will continue to do so in the future.
- Enrollment: 286 students
- Private-state tuition: $10,904
- Student:teacher ratio: 22:1
- Minority enrollment: 48%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- The Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service is a vocational, post secondary teaching institution with its primary purpose being to educate individuals interested in the subjects comprising the mortuary arts and sciences curriculum as set out by the American Board of Funeral Service Education for licensure and a career in funeral service, embalming, or both. In 1936 Mr. R. Victor Landig accepted this challenge and opened the Landig College of Mortuary Science in Houston , Texas . The Landig College of Mortuary Science immediately became recognized as one of the leading and most respected colleges of Mortuary Science in the United States. In 1955 Mr. Landig had plans to move his college to Commonwealth Street located in downtown Houston, however personal health problems stopped Mr. Landig's plan of a new school on Commonwealth Street, however the new name was retained, the Commonwealth College of Science. Commonwealth Institute begins with a state-of-the-art learning facility, which includes preparation facilities for practical technical training. Our unique affiliation with Baylor College of Medicine, the University of Texas Medical School, and Harris County Department of Social Services allow students participation in over 1000 annual “real-life” funeral service experiences. Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service offers the Associate of Applied Science Degree in Funeral Service, General Education Courses and Certificate in Funeral Directing. Commonwealth Institute of Funeral Service is accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, a specialized accrediting agency recognized by the Council of Recognition of Post Secondary Accreditation and the U.S. Office of Education.