Houston Community College
- The Houston Community College System is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering opportunities for academic advancement, workforce training, career development, and lifelong learning that prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society.
The teacher population of 1,321 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Houston Community College||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||1,321 staff||76 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Houston Community College is one of the largest community colleges in the United States, serving over 55,000 students each semester. Five area colleges and one specialty college, as well as an extensive distance education program within the system serve the 618 square mile area including Houston and the surrounding regions. The Houston Community College System (HCC) was created under the governance of the Houston Independent School District (HISD) as the result of a public referendum on May 18, 1971. In August of that year, more than 5,700 students enrolled in workforce education courses held at the Houston Technical Institute. In the following semester, academic transfer classes were added and taught at six HISD locations. The college offers Academic degrees, Workforce degrees & certificates and Continuing Education programs. The Houston Community College System is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree.
The nearest community college to Houston Community College is Center for Advanced Legal Studies (2.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 206 students | 2.60 Mi3910 Kirby Ste 200
Houston,  TX  77098
(713) 529-2778 2.60206
- 216 students | 4.80 Mi4669 Southwest Fwy Ste 100
Houston,  TX  77027
(713) 629-1500 4.80216
- 430 students | 5.60 Mi7070 Allensby
Houston,  TX  77022
(713) 692-0077 5.60430
- 1,552 students | 6.00 Mi240 Northwest Mall
Houston,  TX  77092
(713) 425-3100 6.001,552
- 496 students | 8.00 Mi7000 Regency Square Blvd.
Houston,  TX  77036
(713) 785-5995 8.00496
Learn about the steps you need to take to successfully transfer from a community college to a 4-year institution.
Online courses are an affordable and convenient alternative to attending a traditional university. With the advent of the first all-online community college in California, the world of community college is changing and changing quickly. Keep reading to learn more.
Many people view college campuses as bastions of free speech, but recent actions taken by some institutions of higher learning indicate that this may not always be the case.