College of the Canyons
- College of the Canyons is dedicated to enhancing our reputation as a leading two-year college, recognized locally, regionally and statewide for technical advancement, institutional effectiveness, student support, model academic and professional programs, excellence in teaching and learning, and the sense of community that we provide to our students and staff.
College of the Canyons places among the top 20% of community colleges in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Community Size Largest student body
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 358 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|College of the Canyons||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||358 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||17,148 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||48:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||6,227 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||10,921 students||5,903 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||-|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$42,900||$34,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- College of the Canyons is a learning-centered community college that provides academic education and workforce training at the lower division level, to all capable of profiting from instruction. The college began in 1969 with only 800 students located on the campus of Hart High School in Newhall. It now serves more than 17,000 students each term by providing high-quality academic and technical programs including 1,528 class sections, 38 certificate training programs, 55 disciplines/majors, and 34 computer labs. Seventeen intercollegiate athletic programs, nine women's sports and eight men's, provide opportunities to participate in athletics for all who are interested. College of the Canyons is truly a one-of-a-kind resource for the Santa Clarita Valley. It has distinguished itself as one of the premier community colleges in California and is recognized for its leadership in correlating education with economic development, job retention and job creation. It is noted for its high quality academics, excellent facilities, faculty, staff, support systems and effective management of resources. Innovative programs involving partnerships with businesses, alliances with community members and other educational institutions combined with a high-energy, on campus environment have poised the college for the future.
- The nearest community college to College of the Canyons is Los Angeles Mission College (10.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 10,191 students | 10.50 Mi13356 Eldridge Avenue
Sylmar,  CA  91342
- 147 students | 14.40 Mi14355 Roscoe Blvd
Panorama City,  CA  91402
- 21,034 students | 15.30 Mi6201 Winnetka Ave
Woodland Hills,  CA  91371
- 225 students | 15.90 Mi6725 Kester Ave
Van Nuys,  CA  91405
- 317 students | 16.60 Mi14519 W.Sylvan Street
Van Nuys,  CA  91411
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.