- Bishop State Community College is a state-supported, open-admission, urban community college located in Mobile, Alabama. The College consists of four city campuses, dedicated to serving the residents of Mobile and Washington counties in southwest Alabama. The College is part of the Alabama College System, the state-supported network of two-year community and technical colleges that serves the residents of Alabama.
Bishop State Community College serves 2,176 students (35% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 10:1 is lower than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 75% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the state average of 38%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 2,176 students
- In-state tuition: $4,260
- Out-state tuition: $7,650
- Acceptance Rate: 100%
- Student:teacher ratio: 10:1
- Minority enrollment: 75%
- Source: Verified school update
Bishop State Community College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Alabama for:
The teacher population of 211 teachers has grown by 91% over five years.
Bishop State Community College
(AL) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Bishop State Community College has declined by 32% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 10:1 has decreased from 13:1 over five years.
The Bishop State Community College diversity score of 0.49 is less than the state average of 0.55. The school's diversity has declined by 7% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,260 is less than the state average of $4,439. The in-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $7,650 is more than the state average of $6,998. The out-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Total Sports Offered
Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Softball
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- The four campuses make Bishop State the most convenient college option in Mobile. All four campuses -- Main, Baker-Gaines Central, Carver and Southwest -- are located within the city limits. There are seven off-campus sites located in Mobile and Washington counties -- Alma Bryant, Baker, Citronelle, McIntosh, Theodore and Semmes. Bishop State offers high quality educational and support services in each of the College's six academic divisions: Education, Humanities, Natural Science and Mathematics, Business and Economics, Social Sciences, and the Health-Related Professions. Bishop State offers academic and institutional scholarships, athletic scholarships, Federal Pell grants, work study programs and other forms of financial assistance. Bishop State is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges, the Alabama State Board of Education, the National League for Nursing, the Commission on Accreditation for Physical Therapy Education, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education, the American Culinary Federation Education Institute Accrediting Commission, and the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Bishop State Community College cost?
Bishop State Community College's tuition is approximately $4,260 for In-State students and $7,650 for Out-State students.
What is the acceptance rate of Bishop State Community College?
The acceptance rate of Bishop State Community College is 100%, which is higher than the state average of 81%.
What sports does Bishop State Community College offer?
Bishop State Community College offers 4 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Golf and Softball.
What is Bishop State Community College's ranking?
Bishop State Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Alabama for: Average community college minority breakdown.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
Housing is Down, but California Community College Construction Projects Still Strong
Although California’s real estate may be soft, the state’s community college constructions projects are booming. Learn about where the $1.6 billion is going and how community colleges are improving their facilities.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.