Bishop State Community College
- Bishop State Community College is a state-supported, open-admission, urban community college located in Mobile, Alabama. The College consists of four city campuses, dedicated to serving the residents of Mobile and Washington counties in southwest Alabama. The College is part of the Alabama College System, the state-supported network of two-year community and technical colleges that serves the residents of Alabama.
- The teacher population of 110 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Bishop State Community College||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||110 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,320 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||30:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,878 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,442 students||752 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Non Resident races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$26,500||$29,500|
|Total Sports Offered||4 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Golf, SoftballBaseball, Basketball,|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The four campuses make Bishop State the most convenient college option in Mobile. All four campuses -- Main, Baker-Gaines Central, Carver and Southwest -- are located within the city limits. There are seven off-campus sites located in Mobile and Washington counties -- Alma Bryant, Baker, Citronelle, McIntosh, Theodore and Semmes. Bishop State offers high quality educational and support services in each of the College's six academic divisions: Education, Humanities, Natural Science and Mathematics, Business and Economics, Social Sciences, and the Health-Related Professions. Bishop State offers academic and institutional scholarships, athletic scholarships, Federal Pell grants, work study programs and other forms of financial assistance. Bishop State is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges, the Alabama State Board of Education, the National League for Nursing, the Commission on Accreditation for Physical Therapy Education, the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education, the American Culinary Federation Education Institute Accrediting Commission, and the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs.
Profile last updated:
- The nearest community college to Bishop State Community College is Virginia College-Mobile (5.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 575 students | 5.00 Mi3725 Airport Blvd, Suite 165
Mobile,  AL  36608
- 352 students | 5.30 Mi7033 Airport Blvd.
Mobile,  AL  36608
- 518 students | 5.50 Mi828 Downtowner Loop W
Mobile,  AL  36609
- 4,094 students | 19.70 Mi1900 US Hwy 31 S
Bay Minette,  AL  36507
- 10,317 students | 52.90 Mi1000 College Blvd
Pensacola,  FL  32504
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.