- Western Oklahoma State College is committed to providing exemplary educational opportunities to meet the needs of the individual and the community in an increasingly global society. In accordance with our mission, Western`s educational programs and services are designed to help people achieve their individual potential, enrich their lives, and become responsible and productive members of society.
Western Oklahoma State College serves 1,353 students (39% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 24:1 is higher than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 43% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 45%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 1,353 students
- In-state tuition: $4,384
- Out-state tuition: $8,739
- Acceptance Rate: 82%
- Student:teacher ratio: 24:1
- Minority enrollment: 43%
- Source: Verified school update
Western Oklahoma State College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Oklahoma for:
The teacher population of 56 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Western Oklahoma State College
(OK) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Western Oklahoma State College has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 24:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Western Oklahoma State College diversity score of 0.63 is less than the state average of 0.66. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,384 is more than the state average of $3,475. The in-state tuition has grown by 13% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $8,739 is more than the state average of $7,963. The out-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Total Sports Offered
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Western Oklahoma State College, established as Altus Junior College in 1926, is the oldest original municipal two-year college still in existence in Oklahoma. Its operation since 1967 has been under the provision of State Bill No. 2 of the 1967 Oklahoma Legislature and the Community Junior College Act. On August 16, 1974, the college became Western Oklahoma State College by an act of the state legislature, signed by the Governor on April 3, 1974. Western Oklahoma State College is geographically located in Southwestern Oklahoma. As a state-supported institution, it is open to all residents of Oklahoma but functions primarily to serve the counties of Jackson, Greer, Harmon, Kiowa, and Tillman. Western Oklahoma State College awards the following degrees and other forms of academic recognition to those students who successfully complete the educational program plans approved to be offered at the institution. The college offers Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science and Certificate Programs. The college is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools-Commission on Institutions of Higher Education.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Western Oklahoma State College cost?
Western Oklahoma State College's tuition is approximately $4,384 for In-State students and $8,739 for Out-State students.
What is the acceptance rate of Western Oklahoma State College?
The acceptance rate of Western Oklahoma State College is 82%, which is higher than the state average of 64%.
What sports does Western Oklahoma State College offer?
Western Oklahoma State College offers 2 interscholastic sports: Cheering and Softball.
What is Western Oklahoma State College's ranking?
Western Oklahoma State College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Oklahoma for: Percent of students receiving financial aid.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.