Tel: (940) 552-6291
- Vernon College is responsive to the needs and aspirations of the community it serves. This responsiveness is demonstrated by the College's commitment to accessibility, affordability, comprehensiveness, flexibility, high quality, and accountability in the programs and services it offers.
The teacher population of 114 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Vernon College||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||114 staff||121 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Since 1972, Vernon College has prepared students for transfer to four-year colleges and universities; educated students for careers in a variety of allied health and technical fields; provided customized training to business and industry; offered personal enrichment courses to students of all ages; and presented drama, music and athletic programs of interest to the entire community. Wilbarger County Junior College District was created by a majority of the electorate of Wilbarger County on January 20, 1970. On April 9, 1970, the Board of Trustees elected Dr. David L. Norton as the first college president. Campus construction was begun in May, 1971, including an Academic Science Center, Administration-Fine Arts Center, Applied Arts Center, Library, and Student Center. On September 5, 1972 classes met for the first time on the VRJC campus with a total of 608 students. On May 23, 2001, the Vernon Regional Junior College Board of Trustees voted unanimously to change the name of the institution to Vernon College. Vernon College (VC) is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate Degrees.
The nearest community college to Vernon College is Western Oklahoma State College (35.3 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,460 students | 35.30 Mi2801 N Main St
Altus,  OK  73521
(580) 477-2000 35.301,460
- 1,844 students | 105.30 Mi1122 College Drive
Clarendon,  TX  79226
(806) 874-0000000 105.301,844
- 1,929 students | 121.00 Mi1300 S Country Club Rd
El Reno,  OK  73036
(405) 262-2552 121.001,929
- 3,374 students | 123.00 Mi101 College Heights
Cisco,  TX  76437
(254) 442-5000 123.003,374
- 2,414 students | 123.30 Mi1100 College Circle
Ranger,  TX  76470
(254) 647-3234 123.302,414
Learn about how the community college tuition hikes in the next year may be greater than the rate of inflation.
In light of the huge budget cuts facing California community colleges, class rationing is now on the table as one option to help schools stay in the black. Is it right, fair or even practical? We’ll explore the issue.
Learn about how some convicted criminals abused community colleges' financial aid programs and why Congress has decided to prohibit criminals from being eligible for future aid.