Tel: (940) 552-6291
- Vernon College is responsive to the needs and aspirations of the community it serves. This responsiveness is demonstrated by the College's commitment to accessibility, affordability, comprehensiveness, flexibility, high quality, and accountability in the programs and services it offers.
The teacher population of 114 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Vernon College||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||114 staff||76 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Since 1972, Vernon College has prepared students for transfer to four-year colleges and universities; educated students for careers in a variety of allied health and technical fields; provided customized training to business and industry; offered personal enrichment courses to students of all ages; and presented drama, music and athletic programs of interest to the entire community. Wilbarger County Junior College District was created by a majority of the electorate of Wilbarger County on January 20, 1970. On April 9, 1970, the Board of Trustees elected Dr. David L. Norton as the first college president. Campus construction was begun in May, 1971, including an Academic Science Center, Administration-Fine Arts Center, Applied Arts Center, Library, and Student Center. On September 5, 1972 classes met for the first time on the VRJC campus with a total of 608 students. On May 23, 2001, the Vernon Regional Junior College Board of Trustees voted unanimously to change the name of the institution to Vernon College. Vernon College (VC) is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate Degrees.
The nearest community college to Vernon College is Western Oklahoma State College (35.3 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,460 students | 35.30 Mi2801 N Main St
Altus,  OK  73521
(580) 477-2000 35.301,460
- 1,394 students | 105.30 Mi1122 College Drive
Clarendon,  TX  79226
(806) 874-3571 105.301,394
- 2,661 students | 121.00 Mi1300 S Country Club Rd
El Reno,  OK  73036
(405) 262-2552 121.002,661
- 3,608 students | 123.00 Mi101 College Heights
Cisco,  TX  76437
(254) 442-5000 123.003,608
- 2,031 students | 123.30 Mi1100 College Circle
Ranger,  TX  76470
(254) 647-3234 123.302,031
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!