- Vernon College is responsive to the needs and aspirations of the community it serves. This responsiveness is demonstrated by the College's commitment to accessibility, affordability, comprehensiveness, flexibility, high quality, and accountability in the programs and services it offers.
Vernon College serves 2,773 students (29% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 11:1 is lower than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 42% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 70%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 2,773 students
- In-state tuition: $4,200
- Out-state tuition: $6,300
- Student:teacher ratio: 11:1
- Minority enrollment: 42%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
The teacher population of 248 teachers has grown by 117% over five years.
(TX) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Vernon College has declined by 7% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 11:1 has decreased from 12:1 over five years.
The Vernon College diversity score of 0.59 is less than the state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,200 is more than the state average of $3,626. The in-state tuition has declined by 9% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $6,300 is more than the state average of $5,997. The out-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Since 1972, Vernon College has prepared students for transfer to four-year colleges and universities; educated students for careers in a variety of allied health and technical fields; provided customized training to business and industry; offered personal enrichment courses to students of all ages; and presented drama, music and athletic programs of interest to the entire community. Wilbarger County Junior College District was created by a majority of the electorate of Wilbarger County on January 20, 1970. On April 9, 1970, the Board of Trustees elected Dr. David L. Norton as the first college president. Campus construction was begun in May, 1971, including an Academic Science Center, Administration-Fine Arts Center, Applied Arts Center, Library, and Student Center. On September 5, 1972 classes met for the first time on the VRJC campus with a total of 608 students. On May 23, 2001, the Vernon Regional Junior College Board of Trustees voted unanimously to change the name of the institution to Vernon College. Vernon College (VC) is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate Degrees.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Vernon College cost?
Vernon College's tuition is approximately $4,200 for In-State students and $6,300 for Out-State students.
Learn about the lucrative career opportunities in nano-technology and how you can begin your training right at community college.
The Top Challenges for Non-Traditional Students in Community College
If you are starting community college as an adult, there are certain challenges you can expect to face. Understanding and anticipating those challenges will help you to face them head-on with the greatest chance for success.
January 17, 2023ChatGPT: A Powerful Tool With Many Uses
When your database is the entire Internet, you can answer just about any question lightning-fast. Here are some suggestions for using ChatGTP in your college studies.