- Western Dakota Technical Institute is a public institution of higher learning where students acquire the knowledge, skills and behaviors necessary for successful employment.
Western Dakota Technical Institute serves 1,214 students (50% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 11:1 is higher than the state community college average of 9:1.
Minority enrollment is 22% of the student body (majority American), which is more than the state average of 19%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 1,214 students
- In-state tuition: $5,960
- Out-state tuition: $5,960
- Acceptance Rate: 97%
- Student:teacher ratio: 11:1
- Minority enrollment: 22%
- Source: Verified school update
Western Dakota Technical Institute ranks among the top 20% of public schools in South Dakota for:
The teacher population of 109 teachers has grown by 67% over five years.
Western Dakota Technical Institute
(SD) Community College Avg.
Associate's Colleges: High Vocational & Technical-Mixed Traditional/Nontraditional
Less than 2 yrs
Four or more years
The student population of Western Dakota Technical Institute has grown by 15% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 11:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Western Dakota Technical Institute diversity score of 0.38 is more than the state average of 0.34. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $5,960 is more than the state average of $5,786. The in-state tuition has declined by 9% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $5,960 is more than the state average of $5,786. The out-state tuition has declined by 9% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Western Dakota Tech is located in Rapid City in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. Western Dakota Technical Institute provides quality technical educational opportunities to residents of South Dakota and across the country. Western Dakota Tech is one of four State-supported postsecondary technical institutes in South Dakota. The college offer 25 different career programs ranging in length from 9 to 18 months. Western Dakota Tech grants Associate of Applied Science degrees and diplomas upon successful completion of individual program requirements. Through the Business and Industry Training Center a wide variety of non-credit classes, workshops, teleconferences and seminars are available to assist residents in enhancing one's personal or professional skills. The college offers programs in Accounting, Ag-Resources Tech Ag-Business, Ag-Resources Tech Equine Management, Ag-Resources Tech Natural Resources, Ag-Resources Tech Ranch Management, Automotive Technician, Business Management & Marketing, Cabinetry/Fine Woodworking, Carpentry, Collision Repair, Computer Aided Drafting, Computer Networking Specialist-Net Admin Computer Networking Specialist-Prog, Disability/Human Services Technician, Electronics & Computer Technician, Fire Science, Health Unit Coordinator, Industrial Electronics, Law Enforcement Technology, Medical Administrative Services, Medical Transcriptionist, Paralegal/Legal Assistant, Pharmacy Technician, Phlebotomy/Laboratory Assistant, Practical Nursing, Public Safety Telecom Operator, Surgical Technology and Welding/Manufacturing. Our small class sizes combined with extensive hands-on experience create a personalized education that assures our graduates are well prepared for success in today's job market.
Profile last updated: 09/15/2022
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Western Dakota Technical Institute cost?
Western Dakota Technical Institute's tuition is approximately $5,960 for In-State students and $5,960 for Out-State students.
What schools are Western Dakota Technical Institute often compared to?
Western Dakota Technical Instituteis often viewed alongside schools like National American University-Rapid City by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of Western Dakota Technical Institute?
The acceptance rate of Western Dakota Technical Institute is 97%, which is higher than the state average of 56%.
What is Western Dakota Technical Institute's ranking?
Western Dakota Technical Institute ranks among the top 20% of community college in South Dakota for: Percent of students receiving financial aid.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.