West Los Angeles College Photo #2 - West creates a path for students to prestigious universities and to satisfying careers.
West Los Angeles College Photo #3 - West is conveniently located near the 405 and 10 freeways, Culver City shopping areas and Playa del Rey Beach
- West Los Angeles College is an accredited California Community College offering paths to university transfer, career education and courses for professional and personal growth. It occupies 70 park-like acres overlooking Culver City, Marina Del Rey and Greater West Los Angeles. On a clear day you can see the Pacific Ocean from the highest points on campus. Over the course of a year, West will serve between 16,000 to 19,000 students between our on-ground, online, and full-time and part-time students. But the college still retains the small, warm college feel as we have no more than about 5,000 students on campus at any one time.
- Our Dental Hygiene program is a national model and is one of only two California community college programs authorized to offer a Bachelor's degree. Our online degree program has been recognized as one of the best in California and the nation. Other unique programs include our Film / TV Production Crafts path preparing students for careers behind the scenes in entertainment and our Aviation Tech program. West also offers degree and certificate programs in Computer Science, Health Care, Business, Law Enforcement and Early Childhood Education.
- Students interested in transferring to universities to complete their Bachelor's degrees can select from 24 Associate Degrees for Transfer and get help with the transfer process from our Transfer Center and support organizations including EOPS, TRiO, Puente and Honors Transfer.
- West alumni can be found in every industry from the front lines to the executive ranks. Our college motto is: GO WEST. GO FAR.
West Los Angeles College serves 11,417 students (17% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 26:1 is higher than the state community college average of 22:1.
Minority enrollment is 89% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is more than the state average of 74%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 11,417 students
- In-state tuition: $1,220
- Out-state tuition: $6,810
- Student:teacher ratio: 26:1
- Minority enrollment: 89%
- Source: Verified school update
West Los Angeles College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
The teacher population of 436 teachers has grown by 105% over five years.
West Los Angeles College
(CA) Community College Avg.
Four or more years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of West Los Angeles College has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 26:1 has decreased from 30:1 over five years.
The West Los Angeles College diversity score of 0.68 is less than the state average of 0.70. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $1,220 is less than the state average of $1,246. The in-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $6,810 is more than the state average of $6,603. The out-state tuition has declined by 9% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Total Sports Offered
Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Soccer, Track and Field, Volleyball
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- West Los Angeles College (WLAC), located on a scenic hillside in Culver City, opened its doors in February 1969. One of the nine campuses of the Los Angeles Community College District, the college has approximately 11,000 student in day, evening and online classes. WLAC serves Baldwin Hills, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Century City, Crenshaw, Culver City, LA Tijera/Windsor Hills, Marina del Rey, Mar Vista, Pacific Palisades, Palms, Playa del Rey, Venice, Westchester, West Los Angeles and Westwood. Students come from a rich mixture of nationalities and cultures. West is a leader in online education housing one of the largest programs in Southern California. Several of our degrees may be earned completely online. Partnerships with prestigious universities allow our students to transfer and complete their Bachelor's degree completely online as well. Students may also select just one or two classes online to augment their on campus courses. Our career-oriented Certificate and Associate degree programs include several that are unique in this area, including motion picture/television production crafts, aircraft electronics, aviation maintenance, dental hygiene, travel and hospitality, and the only paralegal program in the Los Angeles Community College District that is approved by the American Bar Association. Whether in academic or career-oriented subjects, our outstanding faculty members are experts in their fields. They have chosen to teach in a community college because they prefer to concentrate on teaching, and they value the smaller classes and greater opportunity for individualized instruction that colleges like West provide. Basic Skills Program to provide students with the necessary capabilities in mathematics, verbal and written language skills, and study skills to successfully complete a certificate, degree, or transfer program. The college is fully accredited by the Western Association of Colleges and Universities, and offers 25 transfer and 18 vocationally-oriented programs. The American Dental Association and the Federal Aviation Administration also recognize the vocational curricula offered here at West Los Angeles College.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does West Los Angeles College cost?
West Los Angeles College's tuition is approximately $1,220 for In-State students and $6,810 for Out-State students.
What sports does West Los Angeles College offer?
West Los Angeles College offers 9 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Soccer, Track and Field and Volleyball.
What is West Los Angeles College's ranking?
West Los Angeles College ranks among the top 20% of community college in California for: Average community college minority breakdown.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.