Santa Monica College
- Santa Monica College strives to create a learning environment that both challenges our students and supports them in achieving their educational goals. We prepare our students to contribute to the global community as they develop an understanding of their personal relationship to the world’s social, cultural, political, economic, technological, and natural environments.
- The teacher population of 668 teachers has grown by 8% over five years.
|Santa Monica College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||668 staff||92 staff|
|Total Enrollment||30,158 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||45:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||10,861 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||19,297 students||5,903 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|Diversity ScoreThe chance that two students selected at random would be members of a different ethnic group. Scored from 0 to 1, a diversity score closer to 1 indicates a more diverse student body.||0.78||0.73|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$38,100||$34,900|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- To fulfill this mission, the College provides open and affordable access to excellent associate degree and occupational certificate programs. These programs prepare students for successful careers, develop college-level skills, enable transfer to universities, and foster a personal commitment to lifelong learning. We have an impressive academic record. We are the leader among the state's 108 community colleges in transferring students to the University of California , University of Southern California and other four-year campuses. We also pride ourselves on preparing students for careers of the 21st century – in such fields as nursing, computer applications, early childhood education, business, accounting, graphic design and other occupations. Set on a 38-acre main campus less than two miles from the beach, Santa Monica College has everything today's student needs to succeed – computer labs, athletic facilities, performing and visual arts spaces, and active student clubs. The SMC Library underwent a $23.6 million expansion and modernization and reopened in August 2003 as a state-of-the-art, architecturally praised facility. Our Science Complex, which opened in fall 1999, features the latest in equipment and high-tech labs. Our award-winning faculty works closely with students to ensure their success, and we have numerous student services to help students meet their goals. Santa Monica College – a two-year community college accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges – opened in 1929 with just 153 students. It has now grown to a thriving campus with 25,000 students and offerings in more than 80 fields of study.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,436 students | 1.10 MiSanta Monica Bus Park, 2900 31st St
Santa Monica,  CA  90405
- 340 students | 4.80 Mi3000 S Robertson Blvd #300
Los Angeles,  CA  90034
- 10,641 students | 4.80 Mi9000 Overland Avenue
Culver City,  CA  90230
- 306 students | 6.70 Mi6435 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles,  CA  90048
- 411 students | 8.10 Mi3699 Wilshire Blvd., Fourth Floor
Los Angeles,  CA  90010
December 01, 2017
Learn about trending community college topics this week such as San Francisco's move toward free tuition at community colleges and the rise in hunger and homelessness among community college students across the country.
December 01, 2017
This summer will be wrapping up before we know of it, and your first semester at community college is rapidly approaching. Are you ready for it?
December 01, 2017
To encourage students to pursue higher education, some states are considering plans to offer zero-tuition programs at public community colleges. These programs could make college a reality for many young people, however, critics argue such programs would cost taxpayers a significant amount of money.