Texas State Technical College-West Texas
Tel: (325) 235-7300
- Texas State Technical College West Texas is a two-year higher education institution in Abilene, Breckenridge, Brownwood, and Sweetwater offering associate's degrees, certificates and customized training in critical and emerging technologies.
The teacher population of 73 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Texas State Technical College-West Texas||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associates Colleges||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-High Traditional|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||73 staff||121 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Texas State Technical College (TSTC), then James Connally Technical Institute (JCTI), was created in 1965 by the Legislature to meet the evolving work force needs of Texas business and industry. The looming need for a special institute for technicians had been a pressing issue for state leaders, and the soon-to-be abandoned James Connally Air Force Base in Waco was the ideal location for the top-quality technical institute they had planned. Governor John Connally predicted the institute would be, the most sophisticated technical-vocational institute in the country. Situated on sixty-five acres, Texas State Technical College West Texas, Sweetwater Campus, has thirteen instructional buildings, all of which have been built or extensively remodeled since the college opened in 1970. Student housing for 216 individual students exists on the Sweetwater Campus in the form of apartments and dorms. Recreational facilities include The Center, which houses a Cardiovascular Fitness Center, a Strength Training Center, table tennis, billiards and a student lounge with satellite TV. Outside, there are volleyball, basketball and tennis courts, a baseball diamond, a covered pavillion, and a recreational site at Lake Sweetwater. TSTC West Texas is part of the Texas State Technical College System, a public coeducational institution of higher education offering courses of study in technical education leading to the award of Certificates and Associate of Applied Science degrees. Texas State Technical College's high graduation rate, established relationship with business and industry, and state-of-the-art laboratories are providing productive and responsible graduates for employers across Texas. Texas State Technical College West Texas is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate of Applied Science degrees and Certificates of Completion.
The nearest community college to Texas State Technical College-West Texas is Western Texas College (29.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,179 students | 29.80 Mi6200 College Ave
Snyder, TX 79549
(325) 573-8511 29.802,179
- 87 students | 58.90 Mi3200 Ave C
Big Spring, TX 79720
(432) 264-3700 58.9087
- 4,485 students | 59.00 Mi1001 Birdwell Lane
Big Spring, TX 79720
(432) 264-5000 59.004,485
- 3,374 students | 86.90 Mi101 College Heights
Cisco, TX 76437
(254) 442-5000 86.903,374
- 5,452 students | 100.10 Mi3600 N Garfield
Midland, TX 79705
(432) 685-4500 100.105,452
Learn about the dazzling jewelry programs and certificates that are available at your local community college campus.
Calling all tech-lovers! A new survey by Republic’s Center for Digital Education and Converge Online has ranked the community colleges that most effectively integrate digital technology into daily campus life.
Veteran Charles Wittington, a community college student, wrote about his killing addiction and was subsequently banned from campus. Was he entitled through free speech to express his opinion, or is campus safety more important? Weigh in on the controversy.