Texas State Technical College-West Texas
- Texas State Technical College West Texas is a two-year higher education institution in Abilene, Breckenridge, Brownwood, and Sweetwater offering associate's degrees, certificates and customized training in critical and emerging technologies.
Texas State Technical College-West Texas serves 1,453 students (40% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 20:1 is higher than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 31% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 70%.
- Enrollment: 1,453 students
- In-state tuition: $5,148
- Out-state tuition: $10,800
- Student:teacher ratio: 20:1
- Minority enrollment: 31%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
The teacher population of 73 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Texas State Technical College-West Texas
(TX) Community College Avg.
Less than 2 yrs
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Texas State Technical College-West Texas has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 20:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Texas State Technical College-West Texas diversity score of 0.47 is less than the state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $5,148 is more than the state average of $3,626. The in-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $10,800 is more than the state average of $5,997. The out-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Texas State Technical College (TSTC), then James Connally Technical Institute (JCTI), was created in 1965 by the Legislature to meet the evolving work force needs of Texas business and industry. The looming need for a special institute for technicians had been a pressing issue for state leaders, and the soon-to-be abandoned James Connally Air Force Base in Waco was the ideal location for the top-quality technical institute they had planned. Governor John Connally predicted the institute would be, the most sophisticated technical-vocational institute in the country. Situated on sixty-five acres, Texas State Technical College West Texas, Sweetwater Campus, has thirteen instructional buildings, all of which have been built or extensively remodeled since the college opened in 1970. Student housing for 216 individual students exists on the Sweetwater Campus in the form of apartments and dorms. Recreational facilities include The Center, which houses a Cardiovascular Fitness Center, a Strength Training Center, table tennis, billiards and a student lounge with satellite TV. Outside, there are volleyball, basketball and tennis courts, a baseball diamond, a covered pavillion, and a recreational site at Lake Sweetwater. TSTC West Texas is part of the Texas State Technical College System, a public coeducational institution of higher education offering courses of study in technical education leading to the award of Certificates and Associate of Applied Science degrees. Texas State Technical College's high graduation rate, established relationship with business and industry, and state-of-the-art laboratories are providing productive and responsible graduates for employers across Texas. Texas State Technical College West Texas is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate of Applied Science degrees and Certificates of Completion.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Texas State Technical College-West Texas cost?
Texas State Technical College-West Texas's tuition is approximately $5,148 for In-State students and $10,800 for Out-State students.
Careers: Marine Biologist
Combine underwater adventures with scientific discoveries and crystal blue waters, and you may have a dream career as a marine biologist. Learn about how you can start your marine biology training right at community college!
Cursing in the Classroom: Professor Ousted for Swearing
In a Hawaii community college philosophy course, a professor used profanity to get students' attention and inspire independent thought, but the efforts may have backfired.
Why Community Colleges Will Soon Be Accepting High School Sophomores
The next wave of community college students may just be high school sophomores. Learn about the new program that allows high school sophomores to graduate at 10th grade and proceed directly to community colleges.