Texas State Technical College-West Texas
- Texas State Technical College West Texas is a two-year higher education institution in Abilene, Breckenridge, Brownwood, and Sweetwater offering associate's degrees, certificates and customized training in critical and emerging technologies.
- The teacher population of 73 teachers has declined by 58% over five years.
|Texas State Technical College-West Texas||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||73 staff||76 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,453 students||3,921 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||579 students||1,055 students|
|# Part-Time Students||874 students||2,866 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||216||264|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$35,000||$34,000|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Texas State Technical College (TSTC), then James Connally Technical Institute (JCTI), was created in 1965 by the Legislature to meet the evolving work force needs of Texas business and industry. The looming need for a special institute for technicians had been a pressing issue for state leaders, and the soon-to-be abandoned James Connally Air Force Base in Waco was the ideal location for the top-quality technical institute they had planned. Governor John Connally predicted the institute would be, the most sophisticated technical-vocational institute in the country. Situated on sixty-five acres, Texas State Technical College West Texas, Sweetwater Campus, has thirteen instructional buildings, all of which have been built or extensively remodeled since the college opened in 1970. Student housing for 216 individual students exists on the Sweetwater Campus in the form of apartments and dorms. Recreational facilities include The Center, which houses a Cardiovascular Fitness Center, a Strength Training Center, table tennis, billiards and a student lounge with satellite TV. Outside, there are volleyball, basketball and tennis courts, a baseball diamond, a covered pavillion, and a recreational site at Lake Sweetwater. TSTC West Texas is part of the Texas State Technical College System, a public coeducational institution of higher education offering courses of study in technical education leading to the award of Certificates and Associate of Applied Science degrees. Texas State Technical College's high graduation rate, established relationship with business and industry, and state-of-the-art laboratories are providing productive and responsible graduates for employers across Texas. Texas State Technical College West Texas is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate of Applied Science degrees and Certificates of Completion.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,067 students | 33.30 Mi6200 College Ave
Snyder,  TX  79549
- 3,756 students | 63.20 Mi1001 Birdwell Lane
Big Spring,  TX  79720
- 115 students | 66.90 Mi3200 Ave C
Big Spring,  TX  79720
- 3,608 students | 82.60 Mi101 College Heights
Cisco,  TX  76437
- 2,031 students | 100.10 Mi1100 College Circle
Ranger,  TX  76470
May 18, 2018
Community Colleges have existed for more than 100 years and they have changed significantly in that amount of time. Keep reading to learn more about the history of community colleges and how they've changed the face of American public education.
May 10, 2018
We’ll explore various degree programs for shy individuals who prefer to work independently, rather than in a team environment.
May 10, 2018
With more community colleges offering bachelor's degrees, the choices in getting a BA or BS are growing quickly. Learn about new bachelor's degrees you can obtain at community colleges, ranging from nursing to electrical engineering and every subject in between.