Texas State Technical College-West Texas
- Texas State Technical College West Texas is a two-year higher education institution in Abilene, Breckenridge, Brownwood, and Sweetwater offering associate's degrees, certificates and customized training in critical and emerging technologies.
- The teacher population of 73 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Texas State Technical College-West Texas||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||73 staff||76 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,453 students||3,921 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||579 students||1,055 students|
|# Part-Time Students||874 students||2,866 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||252|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$35,000||$33,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Texas State Technical College (TSTC), then James Connally Technical Institute (JCTI), was created in 1965 by the Legislature to meet the evolving work force needs of Texas business and industry. The looming need for a special institute for technicians had been a pressing issue for state leaders, and the soon-to-be abandoned James Connally Air Force Base in Waco was the ideal location for the top-quality technical institute they had planned. Governor John Connally predicted the institute would be, the most sophisticated technical-vocational institute in the country. Situated on sixty-five acres, Texas State Technical College West Texas, Sweetwater Campus, has thirteen instructional buildings, all of which have been built or extensively remodeled since the college opened in 1970. Student housing for 216 individual students exists on the Sweetwater Campus in the form of apartments and dorms. Recreational facilities include The Center, which houses a Cardiovascular Fitness Center, a Strength Training Center, table tennis, billiards and a student lounge with satellite TV. Outside, there are volleyball, basketball and tennis courts, a baseball diamond, a covered pavillion, and a recreational site at Lake Sweetwater. TSTC West Texas is part of the Texas State Technical College System, a public coeducational institution of higher education offering courses of study in technical education leading to the award of Certificates and Associate of Applied Science degrees. Texas State Technical College's high graduation rate, established relationship with business and industry, and state-of-the-art laboratories are providing productive and responsible graduates for employers across Texas. Texas State Technical College West Texas is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate of Applied Science degrees and Certificates of Completion.
- The nearest community college to Texas State Technical College-West Texas is Western Texas College (29.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,179 students | 29.80 Mi6200 College Ave
Snyder,  TX  79549
(325) 573-8511 29.802,179
- 115 students | 58.90 Mi3200 Ave C
Big Spring,  TX  79720
(432) 264-3700 58.90115
- 3,756 students | 59.00 Mi1001 Birdwell Lane
Big Spring,  TX  79720
(432) 264-5000 59.003,756
- 3,608 students | 86.90 Mi101 College Heights
Cisco,  TX  76437
(254) 442-5000 86.903,608
- 5,645 students | 100.10 Mi3600 N Garfield
Midland,  TX  79705
(432) 685-4556 100.105,645
Learn about how budgetary constraints are prompting community colleges to only offer four-day school weeks.
Learn about how you can pursue a degree and career in the entertainment industry by starting at your local community college.
Learn about the variety of mentoring programs available in community colleges, and why you may want to be involved as a mentee or mentor.