- Temple College is a public community college, founded in 1926 through the joint efforts of civic, business, and educational leaders. The mission of Temple College is to serve the founders’ vision by meeting the needs of individual students, area communities, and businesses through quality educational programs and services that reflect our commitment to quality and integrity while preparing our diverse population as they enter an everchanging global society.
- Enrollment: 4,940 students
- In-state tuition: $3,744
- Out-state tuition: $5,664
- Student:teacher ratio: 14:1
- Minority enrollment: 51%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Temple Junior College was founded in 1926 in response to the need for a post secondary institution in Temple. The College is a result of the joint efforts of civic, business, and educational leaders. In 1996, the name of the College was changed to Temple College to refl ect its role as a comprehensive college, offering transfer programs, technical education, community education, career and workforce training, and cultural activities. From 1926 until January of 1957, the College was housed in the basement of Temple High School. As the student body grew, so did the need for a permanent campus, and the College moved to its present location in south Temple. The main campus now exceeds 105 acres, including 16 buildings. University Courtyard Apartments provide apartment-style on campus student housing and Temple College Apartments provide on-campus housing for low income student families. The Danny Scott Sports Complex includes a gymnasium with indoor swimming pool, fitness center and racquetball courts; baseball and softball fields, and an intramural field. The Old Nine Golf Course also is located on campus. Temple College also operates three off-campus centers. Temple College Taylor Center opened in the fall of 1997 and serves eastern Williamson County and surrounding area. The Cameron Education Center- Temple College opened in January 2000 to serve the educational and training needs of Milam County and surrounding area. Day and evening credit courses, technical and workforce training and continuing education classes are available at the center. Temple College has traditionally offered pre-professional courses leading to degrees in medicine, law, education, engineering, and similar fi elds as well as more general academic courses that enable students to transfer to fouryear colleges and universities for baccalaureate degrees. The technical program of the College expanded with the opening of the Watson Technical Center in 1967. In recent years a wide variety of credit and non-credit classes, programs and workshops have been offered through Community Education and Workforce Development and Corporate Training. Temple College became a leader in education for health professions with opening of a new Health Sciences Center and Clinical Simulation Center in 2004. Temple College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate degrees. It is also recognized and approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board and the Association of Texas Colleges as a first-class two-year college. It is an active member of the Texas Community College Association, the Texas Association of Community Colleges, and the American Association of Community Colleges.