Springfield College in Illinois
- The mission of Springfield College in Illinois is to provide students the best liberal arts education in the Ursuline tradition of a nurturing faith-based environment. We prepare students for a life of learning, leadership and service in a diverse world.
|Springfield College in Illinois||(IL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Institution Control||Private, non-profit||Public|
|Total Faculty||- staff||124 staff|
|% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid||84%||67%|
|Median Debt for Graduates||$12,000||$6,500|
|Median Debt for Dropouts||$9,250||$3,500|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Springfield College in Illinois has been offering a rigorous two-year college education in a community setting for nearly 75 years. Established in 1929 by the Ursuline Sisters, SCI was a pioneer in its mission of enhancing the ethical, intellectual and personal development of its students without reference to race, color, gender or creed. In January 2003, SCI entered into a partnership with Benedictine University to enlarge that mission. Building on the liberal arts heritage and traditions of both institutions, it will bring Benedictine programs and services and lead to a bachelor's degree offered on the SCI campus. Springfield College in Illinois, in permanent partnership with Benedictine University, is the first faith-based institution in the state's capital to offer associates in arts, baccalaureate and a master's degree. Founded in 1929 by Catholic Ursuline Sisters, Springfield College is the city's first institution of higher learning. The two institutions share a rich tradition of providing Catholic education (Ursuline and Benedictine) and a strong liberal arts core as the basis for all curriculum and areas of concentration. For more than 75 years men and women of all faith traditions have received a high-quality education in a highly personal and small-community environment. The general education curriculum is offered for the student who seeks a broad educational experience without specialization during the first two years of college and provides a solid intellectual foundation for more advanced or specialized study. The general education curriculum also satisfies graduation requirements for the student who finds it necessary to revise a previously planned program of specialization. The school is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.
The nearest community college to Springfield College in Illinois is Lincoln Land Community College (6.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 5,565 students | 6.80 Mi5250 Shepherd Rd
Springfield,  IL  62794
(217) 786-2200 6.805,565
- 968 students | 27.80 Mi300 Keokuk St
Lincoln,  IL  62656
(217) 732-3155 27.80968
- 2,476 students | 37.30 MiOne College Park
Decatur,  IL  62521
(217) 875-7200 37.302,476
- 1,436 students | 54.10 Mi23235 North County 22
Canton,  IL  61520
(309) 647-4645 54.101,436
- 5,063 students | 59.50 Mi1500 West Raab Road
Normal,  IL  61761
(309) 268-8000 59.505,063
Learn about how the community college tuition hikes in the next year may be greater than the rate of inflation.
In light of the huge budget cuts facing California community colleges, class rationing is now on the table as one option to help schools stay in the black. Is it right, fair or even practical? We’ll explore the issue.
Learn about how some convicted criminals abused community colleges' financial aid programs and why Congress has decided to prohibit criminals from being eligible for future aid.