Southwest Virginia Community College
- Southwest Virginia Community College is a two-year institution of higher education established as a part of a state-wide system of community colleges serving primarily the residents of the counties of Buchanan, Dickenson (partial), Russell and Tazewell. The College operates under policies established by the State Board for Community Colleges and the Local College Board. The institution is financed primarily by State funds supplemented by contributions from the participating localities.
- The teacher population of 68 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southwest Virginia Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||68 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,546 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||37:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,212 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,334 students||860 students|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$27,500||$29,400|
- SwVCC is a part of the Virginia Community College System and is located in the southwestern portion of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Nestled at the foot of the majestic Clinch Mountains, SwVCC has a campus of 100 acres of hills and rolling valleys. Southwest opened in 1968 and serves the counties of Buchanan, Dickenson (partial), Russell and Tazewell. SwVCC is truly a comprehensive institution of higher education and offers more than 60 programs of study leading to the associate degree, diploma, certificate or career studies certificate. The College delivers programming to a wide range of business and industry needs through its off-campus sites, the continuing education division and instructional divisions of business and engineering technologies. Southwest Virginia Community College offers programs of traditional classroom instruction and technologically enhanced courses generally extending not more than two years beyond high school. Educational opportunities for adults and college-age youth include instruction in associate degree, diploma, and certificate programs, as well as in continuing education. Counseling services and other student development programs assist students with decisions on occupational, educational, and personal goals. The College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree.
- The nearest community college to Southwest Virginia Community College is Virginia Highlands Community College (29.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,505 students | 29.60 Mi100 VHCC Drive
Abingdon,  VA  24212
- 1,563 students | 32.70 Mi219 Rock St
Bluefield,  WV  24701
- 9 students | 40.50 Mi100 Piedmont Ave
Bristol,  VA  24201
- 3,302 students | 41.00 Mi1000 E Main Street
Wytheville,  VA  24382
- 89 students | 43.10 Mi617 Mercer Street
Princeton,  WV  24740