Virginia Highlands Community College
- Virginia Highlands Community College promotes lifelong learning by providing quality, affordable higher education including workforce training programs that enable community members to succeed in today's world.
The teacher population of 79 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Virginia Highlands Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||79 staff||69 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Virginia Highlands Community College was established on November 30, 1967 by action of the State Board for Community Colleges, and assigned a service region of Washington County, the western portion of Smyth County, and the city of Bristol, Virginia. Today it is one of 23 community colleges within the Virginia Community College System. During its first academic year, 1969-1970, VHCC began delivering the occupational-technical programs that formerly were offered by the Washington County Technical School. More than 300 students enrolled in the first Virginia Highlands classes, which were offered at night in the technical school's facilities. The College moved to its permanent 100-acre campus during the summer of 1970 and, in response to the community's needs, expanded its course offerings to include both occupational-technical programs and baccalaureate-transfer programs. The college buildings are located on a 100 acre campus occupied for the first time in the 1970 summer session. These modern buildings include laboratories, shops, classrooms, offices and a library. In the fall of 1986 the college opened a new 40,000 square feet Learning Resources Center/Business Technologies Building which added dramatically to the educational services available to the region. In the summer of 1994, students, faculty, staff, and administration began using a new 22,000 square feet OccupationalTechnical Center building. There are labs for the air conditioning, heating, general engineering technologies and police science curricula plus a number of offices for faculty and administrators. Virginia Highlands Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree.
The nearest community college to Virginia Highlands Community College is Southwest Virginia Community College (24.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,117 students | 24.00 Mi635 Community College Rd
Cedar Bluff,  VA  24609
(276) 964-2555 24.003,117
- 6,139 students | 27.10 Mi2425 Hwy 75
Blountville,  TN  37617
(423) 323-3191 27.106,139
- 2,506 students | 43.30 Mi3441 Mountain Empire Road
Big Stone Gap,  VA  24219
(276) 523-2400 43.302,506
- 1,082 students | 52.80 Mi200 Mayland Drive
Spruce Pine,  NC  28777
(828) 766-1273 52.801,082
- 2,514 students | 54.50 Mi1000 E Main Street
Wytheville,  VA  24382
(276) 223-4700 54.502,514
Learn about how the community college tuition hikes in the next year may be greater than the rate of inflation.
In light of the huge budget cuts facing California community colleges, class rationing is now on the table as one option to help schools stay in the black. Is it right, fair or even practical? We’ll explore the issue.
Learn about how some convicted criminals abused community colleges' financial aid programs and why Congress has decided to prohibit criminals from being eligible for future aid.