Virginia Highlands Community College
- Virginia Highlands Community College promotes lifelong learning by providing quality, affordable higher education including workforce training programs that enable community members to succeed in today's world.
The teacher population of 79 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Virginia Highlands Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||79 staff||45 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Virginia Highlands Community College was established on November 30, 1967 by action of the State Board for Community Colleges, and assigned a service region of Washington County, the western portion of Smyth County, and the city of Bristol, Virginia. Today it is one of 23 community colleges within the Virginia Community College System. During its first academic year, 1969-1970, VHCC began delivering the occupational-technical programs that formerly were offered by the Washington County Technical School. More than 300 students enrolled in the first Virginia Highlands classes, which were offered at night in the technical school's facilities. The College moved to its permanent 100-acre campus during the summer of 1970 and, in response to the community's needs, expanded its course offerings to include both occupational-technical programs and baccalaureate-transfer programs. The college buildings are located on a 100 acre campus occupied for the first time in the 1970 summer session. These modern buildings include laboratories, shops, classrooms, offices and a library. In the fall of 1986 the college opened a new 40,000 square feet Learning Resources Center/Business Technologies Building which added dramatically to the educational services available to the region. In the summer of 1994, students, faculty, staff, and administration began using a new 22,000 square feet OccupationalTechnical Center building. There are labs for the air conditioning, heating, general engineering technologies and police science curricula plus a number of offices for faculty and administrators. Virginia Highlands Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree.
The nearest community college to Virginia Highlands Community College is Southeast Culinary & Hospitality College (12.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 9 students | 12.40 Mi100 Piedmont Ave
Bristol,  VA  24201
(276) 591-5699 12.409
- 3,117 students | 24.00 Mi635 Community College Rd
Cedar Bluff,  VA  24609
(276) 964-2555 24.003,117
- 5,865 students | 27.10 Mi2425 Hwy 75
Blountville,  TN  37617
(423) 323-3191 27.105,865
- 2,718 students | 43.30 Mi3441 Mountain Empire Road
Big Stone Gap,  VA  24219
(276) 523-2400 43.302,718
- 1,128 students | 52.80 Mi200 Mayland Drive
Spruce Pine,  NC  28777
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!