Wytheville Community College
- The teacher population of 74 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Wytheville Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||74 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,302 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||45:1||36:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,218 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,084 students||860 students|
|% Two or more races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$29,800||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- In 1962, a steering committee composed of area citizens was organized to obtain support for a college in Wytheville. After approval by the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia and the General Assembly, the Wythe County-owned Simmerman Building was chosen as the first site of the college. Wytheville Community College welcomed its first students in September, 1963, as a two-year branch of Virginia Polytechnic Institute. During its first year of operation, the college enrolled 107 students and employed five full-time faculty members. Wytheville Community College commits to a student-centered environment by providing programs and courses in occupational-technical education, college transfer education, general education, developmental education, distance education, continuing education, and workforce development. Wytheville Community College is approved by the State Board for Community Colleges and by the Virginia Community College System. The associate degree curricula of the college have also been approved by the State Council of Higher Education. Wytheville Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree.
- The nearest community college to Wytheville Community College is New River Community College (23.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 4,585 students | 23.20 Mi5251 College Drive
Dublin,  VA  24084
- 1,563 students | 23.70 Mi219 Rock St
Bluefield,  WV  24701
- 89 students | 28.90 Mi617 Mercer Street
Princeton,  WV  24740
- 2,546 students | 41.10 Mi369 College Road US Rt. 19, 6 Miles S. Claypool Hill
Richlands,  VA  24641
- 3,294 students | 43.80 Mi630 S. Main St.
Dobson,  NC  27017
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.