Southwest Tennessee Community College
- Southwest has an outstanding and highly dedicated faculty and staff who are committed to your success. Our mission is to anticipate and respond to the educational needs of students, employers, and communities within our service area. We strive to provide an effective teaching and learning environment designed to raise educational levels, enhance economic development, and enrich personal lives. As a comprehensive, open-access, culturally diverse, public two-year college, Southwest is committed to meeting the educational needs of individual students, communities, and employers through credit and non-credit instruction using both distance learning technology and traditional campus-based classes. Southwest promotes student success in a supportive teaching and learning environment designed to raise educational levels, promote work readiness skills, enhance career advancement, prepare for university transfer, and enrich personal lives.
Southwest Tennessee Community College places among the top 20% of community colleges in Tennessee for:
- The teacher population of 315 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southwest Tennessee Community College||(TN) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||315 staff||29 staff|
|Total Enrollment||10,227 students||631 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||32:1||30:1|
|# Full-Time Students||4,243 students||369 students|
|# Part-Time Students||5,984 students||262 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,300||$29,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Southwest Tennessee Community College has a number of Campuses, Centers, and Sites to make getting your degree more convenient. The Macon Cove Campus at 5983 Macon Cove, Memphis, TN, 38134, is right off the I-40 and I-240 expressways in the eastern part of the city. Southwest's intensive technology programs are based at Macon Cove. Through multiple partnerships, alliances, licensing and certification programs, service grants, and extensive computer training facilities, Southwest has forged strong, mutually supportive ties to business and industry in the metropolitan area. Macon's 100-acre campus offers a suburban ambiance, enhanced by a quiet lake that provides year-round habitat to flocks of ducks and other waterfowl. The College Offers Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Arts, and Associate of Science degrees, academic and technical certificate programs, and courses that prepare students for transfer, employment, and career advancement in areas that include allied health sciences, nursing, business, computer technologies, criminal justice, education, and engineering and related technologies, while continually developing new programs in emerging fields. Southwest is accredited to award associate degrees by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The nearest community college to Southwest Tennessee Community College is Baptist Memorial College of Health Sciences (0.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,170 students | 0.50 Mi1003 Monroe Ave
Memphis,  TN  38104
- 249 students | 1.00 Mi1200 Poplar Ave
Memphis,  TN  38104
- 667 students | 4.90 Mi2655 Dividend Drive
Memphis,  TN  38132
- 633 students | 5.40 Mi2710 Nonconnah Blvd
Memphis,  TN  38132
- 1,310 students | 8.40 Mi5100 Poplar Avenue, Suite 132
Memphis,  TN  38137
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.