Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College
- Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is a comprehensive community college located in a rural environment. The College strives to fulfill current and future higher educational and vocational/technical needs of southern West Virginia, its service area and beyond. Our College emphasizes student-oriented, transferable learning, enabling students to achieve work, career and personal success.
- The teacher population of 107 teachers has declined by 33% over five years.
|Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College||(WV) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||107 staff||49 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,859 students||1,060 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||23:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,234 students||435 students|
|# Part-Time Students||625 students||625 students|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$30,000||$23,900|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Our College provides high-quality, affordable, student-friendly, and easily accessible educational services. We are highly effective and flexible in responding to state and community demands, and adapting to a global socio-economic system. Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College was established as an open-door, comprehensive community college on July 1, 1971 (named Southern West Virginia Community College) by combining two existing branches of Marshall University. Through legislation enacted in March 1995, the College's name was changed to Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College. Both the Williamson and Logan branches had been in operation since 1963 under the academic, fiscal, and administrative control of Marshall University, providing primarily the first two years of liberal arts, teacher education, and career programs in secretarial science, and radiologic technology. Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College gives residents of southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky opportunities to secure their success, with two-year associate degrees, and certificates in more than twenty technical and occupational career fields. Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is a member institution of the Community and Technical College System of West Virginia and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges.
- The nearest community college to Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College (39.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,573 students | 39.10 Mi2001 Union Carbide Drive
South Charleston,  WV  25303
- 259 students | 39.20 Mi4799 Midland Dr
Charleston,  WV  25306
- 129 students | 40.10 Mi1000 Virginia St E
Charleston,  WV  25301
- 63 students | 41.20 Mi5514 Big Tyler Rd
Charleston,  WV  25313
- 4,638 students | 42.70 Mi1 Bert Combs Dr
Prestonsburg,  KY  41653
We report on the recent increases in Stafford Loan Rates, which have led to some community colleges across the country discontinuing this option for financial aid.
Attending college is expensive but there are options for financing beyond just student loans. Keep reading to learn more.
College is expensive enough without the added cost of medical school on top of it. If you're on a pre-med track, consider taking some of your prerequisites at community college. Keep reading to learn more.