Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College
- Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is a comprehensive community college located in a rural environment. The College strives to fulfill current and future higher educational and vocational/technical needs of southern West Virginia, its service area and beyond. Our College emphasizes student-oriented, transferable learning, enabling students to achieve work, career and personal success.
- The teacher population of 107 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College||(WV) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||107 staff||49 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,859 students||1,060 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||23:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,234 students||435 students|
|# Part-Time Students||625 students||625 students|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$30,000||$25,000|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Our College provides high-quality, affordable, student-friendly, and easily accessible educational services. We are highly effective and flexible in responding to state and community demands, and adapting to a global socio-economic system. Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College was established as an open-door, comprehensive community college on July 1, 1971 (named Southern West Virginia Community College) by combining two existing branches of Marshall University. Through legislation enacted in March 1995, the College's name was changed to Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College. Both the Williamson and Logan branches had been in operation since 1963 under the academic, fiscal, and administrative control of Marshall University, providing primarily the first two years of liberal arts, teacher education, and career programs in secretarial science, and radiologic technology. Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College gives residents of southern West Virginia and eastern Kentucky opportunities to secure their success, with two-year associate degrees, and certificates in more than twenty technical and occupational career fields. Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is a member institution of the Community and Technical College System of West Virginia and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Schools and Colleges.
- The nearest community college to Southern West Virginia Community and Technical College is Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College (39.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,573 students | 39.10 Mi2001 Union Carbide Drive
South Charleston,  WV  25303
- 259 students | 39.20 Mi4799 Midland Dr
Charleston,  WV  25306
- 129 students | 40.10 Mi1000 Virginia St E
Charleston,  WV  25301
- 63 students | 41.20 Mi5514 Big Tyler Rd
Charleston,  WV  25313
- 4,638 students | 42.70 Mi1 Bert Combs Dr
Prestonsburg,  KY  41653
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.