Southern Union State Community College
- The mission of the College is to provide quality academic, technical, and health science programs which are affordable, accessible, and responsive to the needs of the community, business, industry, and government. As an open-door institution, the College provides an educational program that complements the various ability levels of a diverse student population. In support of these efforts, the College employs a highly qualified staff which is active in the planning and evaluation of all programs. The education offered allows for successful transfer entry into upper-level study at a senior college or university, trains for immediate employment upon completion of a technically-oriented program, and provides educational opportunities for those students interested in careers in the health care field.
- The teacher population of 151 teachers has declined by 12% over five years.
|Southern Union State Community College||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||151 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||4,727 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||31:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,727 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,000 students||752 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||460||128|
|% Unknown races|
|Diversity ScoreThe chance that two students selected at random would be members of a different ethnic group. Scored from 0 to 1, a diversity score closer to 1 indicates a more diverse student body.||0.45||0.56|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$32,600||$29,700|
- Southern Union State Community College serves residents of an eight county area of East Central Alabama as well as neighboring Georgia counties from its campuses in Wadley, Valley and Opelika. A three-faceted educational emphasis is on academic programs for transferability, technical/vocational programs for specialized career competencies, and nursing and allied health programs for specialized training in health sciences. Southern Union State Community College was formed on August 12, 1993, when the Alabama State Board of Education effectively merged Southern Union State Junior College, located in Wadley, Valley, and Opelika, with Opelika State Technical College in Opelika. From its opening with 51 students in a single building on September 13, 1923, until 1964, the College remained church related, operating as Piedmont Junior College, Southern Union College, and The Southern Union College. On October 1,1964, the college was deeded to the State of Alabama and became part of a newly created system of two-year colleges under the governance of the Alabama State Board of Education. The name of the college became Southern Union State Junior College. Southern Union State Community College provide a comprehensive and accessible program of instruction which offers opportunities for lifelong learning through pre-baccalaureate, technical, occupational, health science, and continuing education programs. The pine-wooded Wadley Campus is bordered by a scenic 15-acre college lake. Since 1922, this campus has served students in the tradition of a small college providing the complete college experience including on-campus housing. An outstanding athletic program and an emphasis on the fine arts can be found at the Wadley Campus along with a strong academic curriculum and selected technical and health sciences courses. Southern Union State Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Applied Science and Associate in Occupational Technologies Degrees.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,726 students | 25.90 Mi1675 Cherokee Rd
Alexander City,  AL  35010
- 1,806 students | 31.60 MiOne College Circle
Lagrange,  GA  30240
- n/a students | 36.90 Mi1801 coleman road
Anniston,  AL  36207
- 6,536 students | 45.00 Mi176 Murphy Campus Blvd.
Waco,  GA  30182
- 3,594 students | 54.90 Mi928 Manchester Expy
Columbus,  GA  31904