Southern Maine Community College serves 5,789 students (34% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 is higher than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 19% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the state average of 15%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 5,789 students
- In-state tuition: $3,880
- Out-state tuition: $6,760
- Acceptance Rate: 59%
- Student:teacher ratio: 17:1
- Minority enrollment: 19%
- Source: Verified school update
Southern Maine Community College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Maine for:
The teacher population of 332 teachers has declined by 29% over five years.
Southern Maine Community College
(ME) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Southern Maine Community College has stayed relatively flat over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The Southern Maine Community College diversity score of 0.34 is more than the state average of 0.27. The school's diversity has declined by 6% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $3,880 is less than the state average of $4,020. The in-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $6,760 is less than the state average of $7,666. The out-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
Out-of-state = $192/hour (2021 Academic Year)
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Total Sports Offered
Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Soccer, Softball
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Southern Maine Community College is a great place to begin your college education and build a foundation for your future. The College provides high quality, results-oriented education in Applied Technologies, Arts and Sciences, Business and Computers, Health Sciences, and Public Safety. As Maine's largest community college, we offer a wide variety of excellent programs that will prepare you to begin an exciting career immediately upon graduation or allow you to continue your education at a four-year college or university. Credits earned at Southern Maine Community College transfer to colleges and universities across the country. A joint admissions agreement with the University of Southern Maine (USM) allows students admitted to Southern Maine Community College guaranteed acceptance to a program at USM with junior status once they have graduated with an Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Studies. Southern Maine Community College (SMCC) opened in 1946 as a day school in Augusta, Maine, under the name of "Maine Vocational Technical Institute" for returning World War II veterans. An increasing enrollment and the rapid growth of various technologies necessitated more comprehensive facilities. During the summer of 1952, the Institute was moved to the site of the former Fort Preble in South Portland, where it assumed the name of Southern Maine Vocational Institute. The campus sits on a beautiful 80 acre site overlooking Casco Bay three miles from downtown Portland. There are about 40 buildings including both modern and traditional historic structures. We have our own athletic fields, a modern gymnasium, a sandy beach and a fully functional lighthouse! SMCC offers about 40 different academic programs. Most are career oriented and offer a two year Associate Degree preparing students for immediate employment. We also offer a two year Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies with various concentrations for students who wish to transfer to a four-year college. Some one-year certificate programs are offered as well.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Southern Maine Community College cost?
Southern Maine Community College's tuition is approximately $3,880 for In-State students and $6,760 for Out-State students.
What is the acceptance rate of Southern Maine Community College?
The acceptance rate of Southern Maine Community College is 59%, which is lower than the state average of 69%.
What sports does Southern Maine Community College offer?
Southern Maine Community College offers 5 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Soccer and Softball.
What is Southern Maine Community College's ranking?
Southern Maine Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Maine for: Diversity in US community colleges, Average community college minority breakdown, Largest student body and Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation).
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.