South University, Montgomery
Top Ranked (2021-22): View Rankings
Tel: (334) 395-8800
- South University is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social, and professional development of a diverse student population. To achieve this purpose, the institution offers focused and balanced curricula at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
South University, Montgomery ranks among the top 20% of community colleges in Alabama for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity Average community college minority breakdown
- School Resources Percent of students receiving financial aid
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
The teacher population of 33 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|South University, Montgomery||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Master's Colleges & Universities: Small Programs||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-High Traditional|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||33 staff||75 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The educational foundations of South University were laid in 1899 in Savannah, Georgia. Founded as Draughon's Practical Business College by Dr. John H. Draughon, the school was created to educate young men and women on the practical aspects of business. Over the next 75 years, the school's reputation continued to grow and develop as hundreds of promising students graduated and became respected business professionals. The academic programs and services are offered at our campuses in Savannah, GA; Montgomery, AL; West Palm Beach, FL; and Columbia, SC. South University offers a wide range of educational programs on the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. All programs are not available at every campus. A broad-based core curriculum is offered, promoting critical thinking, effective verbal and written communication, and skills for life-long learning. Additionally, the university focuses on developing the requisites to pursue and appreciate knowledge. South University's approach to higher education and the resulting varied academic experiences provide students with the intellectual acumen and pragmatic approach necessary to create the foundation for personal and professional fulfillment. South University attempts to provide a comprehensive education that instills within its students a philosophy that values not only learning and professionalism but also contribution and commitment to the advancement of community. South University's Montgomery campus is located on the rapidly growing east side of Alabama's capital city. As the state capital, Montgomery is a hub of government, banking, and law, as well as a state center for culture and entertainment. Montgomery is situated in the middle of the southeastern U.S., and is less than a three-hour drive from Atlanta, Birmingham, and the Gulf of Mexico.
The nearest community college to South University, Montgomery is H councill trenholm state technical college-Patter (1.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 943 students | 1.90 Mi3920 troy hwy
Montgomery, AL 36116
(334) 420-4200 1.90943
- 337 students | 3.50 Mi3736 Atlanta Hwy
Montgomery, AL 36109
(334) 272-3857 3.50337
- 1,855 students | 7.40 Mi1225 Air Base Blvd
Montgomery, AL 36108
(334) 420-4200 7.401,855
- 443 students | 19.90 Mi5375 Ingram Rd
Deatsville, AL 36022
(334) 290-3242 19.90443
- 1,681 students | 43.60 Mi1675 Cherokee Rd
Alexander City, AL 35010
(256) 234-6346 43.601,681
Learn more about how community colleges and federal loans can help you affordably finance your community college education.
Many degree programs require students to take electives but what are the pros and cons of elective courses?
Many community college students are the first in their family to attend college, and this designation comes with its own share of responsibilities and challenges. Learn about the support available specifically for first-generation community college students.