- South University is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social, and professional development of a diverse student population. To achieve this purpose, the institution offers focused and balanced curricula at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
South University-Montgomery places among the top 20% of community colleges in Alabama for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 33 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|South University-Montgomery||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||33 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||624 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||356 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||268 students||752 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||353 students||1,004 students|
|# Graduate Students||3 students||3 students|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$34,100||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The educational foundations of South University were laid in 1899 in Savannah, Georgia. Founded as Draughon's Practical Business College by Dr. John H. Draughon, the school was created to educate young men and women on the practical aspects of business. Over the next 75 years, the school's reputation continued to grow and develop as hundreds of promising students graduated and became respected business professionals.The academic programs and services are offered at our campuses in Savannah, GA; Montgomery, AL; West Palm Beach, FL; and Columbia, SC. South University offers a wide range of educational programs on the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. All programs are not available at every campus.A broad-based core curriculum is offered, promoting critical thinking, effective verbal and written communication, and skills for life-long learning. Additionally, the university focuses on developing the requisites to pursue and appreciate knowledge. South University's approach to higher education and the resulting varied academic experiences provide students with the intellectual acumen and pragmatic approach necessary to create the foundation for personal and professional fulfillment. South University attempts to provide a comprehensive education that instills within its students a philosophy that values not only learning and professionalism but also contribution and commitment to the advancement of community.South University's Montgomery campus is located on the rapidly growing east side of Alabama's capital city. As the state capital, Montgomery is a hub of government, banking, and law, as well as a state center for culture and entertainment. Montgomery is situated in the middle of the southeastern U.S., and is less than a three-hour drive from Atlanta, Birmingham, and the Gulf of Mexico.
- The nearest community college to South University-Montgomery is H councill trenholm state technical college-Patter (1.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 943 students | 1.80 Mi3920 troy hwy
Montgomery,  AL  36116
- 315 students | 3.50 Mi3736 Atlanta Hwy
Montgomery,  AL  36109
- 1,338 students | 7.40 Mi1225 Air Base Blvd
Montgomery,  AL  36108
- 1,726 students | 43.20 Mi1675 Cherokee Rd
Alexander City,  AL  35010
- 1,761 students | 47.00 Mi3000 Earl Goodwin Parkway
Selma,  AL  36703
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.