- South University is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social, and professional development of a diverse student population. To achieve this purpose, the institution offers focused and balanced curricula at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
South University-Montgomery places among the top 20% of community colleges in Alabama for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 33 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|South University-Montgomery||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||33 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||624 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||356 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||268 students||752 students|
|# Undergraduate Students||353 students||1,004 students|
|# Graduate Students||3 students||3 students|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$34,100||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The educational foundations of South University were laid in 1899 in Savannah, Georgia. Founded as Draughon's Practical Business College by Dr. John H. Draughon, the school was created to educate young men and women on the practical aspects of business. Over the next 75 years, the school's reputation continued to grow and develop as hundreds of promising students graduated and became respected business professionals.The academic programs and services are offered at our campuses in Savannah, GA; Montgomery, AL; West Palm Beach, FL; and Columbia, SC. South University offers a wide range of educational programs on the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. All programs are not available at every campus.A broad-based core curriculum is offered, promoting critical thinking, effective verbal and written communication, and skills for life-long learning. Additionally, the university focuses on developing the requisites to pursue and appreciate knowledge. South University's approach to higher education and the resulting varied academic experiences provide students with the intellectual acumen and pragmatic approach necessary to create the foundation for personal and professional fulfillment. South University attempts to provide a comprehensive education that instills within its students a philosophy that values not only learning and professionalism but also contribution and commitment to the advancement of community.South University's Montgomery campus is located on the rapidly growing east side of Alabama's capital city. As the state capital, Montgomery is a hub of government, banking, and law, as well as a state center for culture and entertainment. Montgomery is situated in the middle of the southeastern U.S., and is less than a three-hour drive from Atlanta, Birmingham, and the Gulf of Mexico.
- The nearest community college to South University-Montgomery is H councill trenholm state technical college-Patter (1.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 943 students | 1.80 Mi3920 troy hwy
Montgomery,  AL  36116
- 315 students | 3.50 Mi3736 Atlanta Hwy
Montgomery,  AL  36109
- 1,338 students | 7.40 Mi1225 Air Base Blvd
Montgomery,  AL  36108
- 1,726 students | 43.20 Mi1675 Cherokee Rd
Alexander City,  AL  35010
- 1,761 students | 47.00 Mi3000 Earl Goodwin Parkway
Selma,  AL  36703
Learn about 10 of the best jobs in health care that you can land with just a two-year degree from your local community college.
The cost of obtaining a college degree is high, especially at private universities. Students can save a great deal by choosing community college, but there are still other costs to consider. Read on to learn what costs to expect in community college and to learn some essential money management tips.
You’ve heard the saying that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Unfortunately, many community college students find that their academic chain in school is full of weak links. Read on to learn the challenges that keep community college students from achieving success and what schools and students can do to resolve those issues.