- South University is a private academic institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities for the intellectual, social, and professional development of a diverse student population. To achieve this purpose, the institution offers focused and balanced curricula at the associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels.
South University, Montgomery serves 349 students (67% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 6:1 is lower than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 67% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the state average of 38%.
- Enrollment: 349 students
- Private-state tuition: $16,360
- Acceptance Rate: 74%
- Student:teacher ratio: 6:1
- Minority enrollment: 67%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
South University, Montgomery ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Alabama for:
The teacher population of 54 teachers has grown by 63% over five years.
South University, Montgomery
(AL) Community College Avg.
Less than 2 yrs
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of South University, Montgomery has declined by 22% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 6:1 has stayed the same over five years.
The South University, Montgomery diversity score of 0.49 is less than the state average of 0.55. The school's diversity has grown by 6% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The private state tuition of $16,360 is more than the state average of $13,905. The private state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
Private State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- The educational foundations of South University were laid in 1899 in Savannah, Georgia. Founded as Draughon's Practical Business College by Dr. John H. Draughon, the school was created to educate young men and women on the practical aspects of business. Over the next 75 years, the school's reputation continued to grow and develop as hundreds of promising students graduated and became respected business professionals. The academic programs and services are offered at our campuses in Savannah, GA; Montgomery, AL; West Palm Beach, FL; and Columbia, SC. South University offers a wide range of educational programs on the associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral levels. All programs are not available at every campus. A broad-based core curriculum is offered, promoting critical thinking, effective verbal and written communication, and skills for life-long learning. Additionally, the university focuses on developing the requisites to pursue and appreciate knowledge. South University's approach to higher education and the resulting varied academic experiences provide students with the intellectual acumen and pragmatic approach necessary to create the foundation for personal and professional fulfillment. South University attempts to provide a comprehensive education that instills within its students a philosophy that values not only learning and professionalism but also contribution and commitment to the advancement of community. South University's Montgomery campus is located on the rapidly growing east side of Alabama's capital city. As the state capital, Montgomery is a hub of government, banking, and law, as well as a state center for culture and entertainment. Montgomery is situated in the middle of the southeastern U.S., and is less than a three-hour drive from Atlanta, Birmingham, and the Gulf of Mexico.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does South University, Montgomery cost?
South University, Montgomery's private state tuition is approximately $16,360.
What schools are South University, Montgomery often compared to?
South University, Montgomeryis often viewed alongside schools like H Councill Trenholm State Community College by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of South University, Montgomery?
The acceptance rate of South University, Montgomery is 74%, which is higher than the state average of 73%.
What is South University, Montgomery's ranking?
South University, Montgomery ranks among the top 20% of community college in Alabama for: Percent of students receiving financial aid and Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation).
Lessons Community Colleges Can Learn from the Arizona Shooting Tragedy
The Arizona shooter was a community college student who had shown clear signs of trouble while on campus. What can community colleges learn from the tragedy in moving forward?
When Financial Aid is Late
Today’s strapped financial aid offices have translated into late checks for community college students. Learn about why financial aid checks are becoming tardy and how students are coping.
LGBT Studies Major: A First for Community Colleges
If you are interested in majoring in LGBT Studies, one community college is pioneering a LGBT program that will hopefully spark a growth in these programs on other campuses.