Oakton Community College
- Oakton Community College, a two-year community college was established in 1969 and is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and the North Central Association. The College is recognized by the Illinois Community College Board and is a member of the American Association of Community Colleges, as well as numerous professional organizations.
Oakton Community College places among the top 20% of community colleges in Illinois for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity Diversity in US community colleges
- Community Size Largest student body
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- Debt For Students Least debt for graduating students
- The teacher population of 311 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Oakton Community College||(IL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||311 staff||123 staff|
|Total Enrollment||10,589 students||3,999 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||34:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||2,947 students||1,386 students|
|# Part-Time Students||7,642 students||2,613 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races||-||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$41,000||$31,800|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,|
Cross Country, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Oakton Community College District 535 serves 450,000 residents in the communities of Des Plaines, Evanston, Glencoe, Glenview, Golf, Kenilworth, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove, Mount Prospect, Niles, Northbrook, Northfield, Park Ridge, Rosemont, Skokie, Wilmette, and Winnetka. Oakton's main campus in Des Plaines is located on 147 acres of woodlands and prairie, bordered on the west by the Des Plaines River. The College,a modern, red-brick building with 435,000 square feet, houses 65 classrooms and 46 educational laboratories, as well as student services, administrative and faculty offices. Special facilities include 19 computer classrooms; a Performing Arts Center; the Business Institute; the Koehnline Visual Arts Center; a Child Care Center; and a teleconferencing center, gym, fitness center, library and bookstore. Oakton's faculty and staff are committed to excellence; our students are achievers, enthusiastic about learning; and our facilities are state-of-the-art. College life at Oakton includes a wide variety of extracurricular activities and student services, designed to provide a well-rounded experience. The Business Institute at Oakton was established in 1982 to help companies improve their technical, operational and leadership skills. Through consulting services and customized training programs, companies have defined new goals, refined existing procedures and developed new strategies for success. Thousands of people have acquired new skills in order to meet higher standards of efficiency, productivity and quality.
Profile last updated:
- The nearest community college to Oakton Community College is Worsham College of Mortuary Science (6.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 108 students | 6.40 Mi495 Northgate Pkwy
Wheeling,  IL  60090
- 12,146 students | 8.50 Mi4300 N Narragansett
Chicago,  IL  60634
- 425 students | 8.90 Mi4829 North Lipps Avenue
Chicago,  IL  60630
- 14,957 students | 10.00 Mi1200 W Algonquin Rd
Palatine,  IL  60067
- 11,577 students | 10.30 Mi2000 5th Ave
River Grove,  IL  60171
Take advantage of career opportunities in the field of radio broadcasting by starting your training at your local community college.
Being a single parent is difficult (and expensive) but it shouldn't stop you from furthering your education. Read on to learn how to pay for community college as a single parent.
If you're preparing to apply to college, use your summer wisely and complete a few college visits. Read on to learn how to plan and how to get the most from each visit.