Northwest-Shoals Community College
- Northwest-Shoals Community College is a single, comprehensive two-year public institution of higher education. The college is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, and the Associate in Applied Science degrees as well as certificates in occupationally specific areas.
- The teacher population of 102 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Northwest-Shoals Community College||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||102 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||3,891 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||38:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,877 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,014 students||752 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$29,700||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Located in the Northwest corner of Alabama, our college is comprised of multiple campuses serving the counties of Colbert, Franklin, Lauderdale, and Lawrence, and the western portion of Winston county. Our students come from both urban and rural communities to our campus sites in the Shoals and Phil Campbell.Northwest-Shoals is unique among community colleges in Alabama in that we adhere to the comprehensive community college concept rather than providing separate technical and junior college divisions. Northwest-Shoals Community College offers a broad range of certificate and degree programs, as well as university parallel and linkage programs. A variety of special programs and services, including training for business and industry, is also available.The Community Services Division at NW-SCC provides area companies and individuals with a wide range of technical training, administrative assistance, and personal development courses in the belief that learning is a life-long experience. Consisting of Continuing Education and Training for Business, this division is the flexible division of the college in providing the services not provided in the traditional education environment.The Patriots of Northwest-Shoals are well established as leaders among Alabama intercollegiate athletes. The college holds numerous championship titles in the Alabama Junior and Community College Conference, comprising Region XXII of the National Junior College Athletic Association.
- The nearest community college to Northwest-Shoals Community College is John C Calhoun State Community College (42.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 10,802 students | 42.00 Mi6250 U S Highway 31 N
Tanner,  AL  35671
- 3,215 students | 50.50 Mi101 Cunningham Blvd
Booneville,  MS  38829
- 5,654 students | 52.70 Mi602 W Hill Street
Fulton,  MS  38843
- 138 students | 61.60 Mi904 Oakwood Ave
Huntsville,  AL  35811
- 1,062 students | 62.70 Mi3421 Meridian St N
Huntsville,  AL  35811
Do you have a right to use profanity on campus? Read about one community college that is fining its students for cussing.
The current state of the United States education system is up in the air as COVID-19 spreads across the nation. Graduating high school seniors may find it necessary to change their plans for the fall of 2020 and many are considering a gap year.
In the wake of the COVID-19 crisis, businesses around the country are facing setbacks - colleges included. Read on to learn more about the impact of the pandemic on higher education in the United States.