New Mexico Junior College
- New Mexico Junior College, as a comprehensive community college, promotes success through learning. In support of its mission, New Mexico Junior College (NMJC) offers a variety of educational opportunities and services to meet needs in the lifelong process of personal and professional development.
- The teacher population of 96 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|New Mexico Junior College||(NM) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Associate of Arts Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||96 staff||72 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,803 students||1,793 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||29:1||30:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,067 students||604 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,736 students||1,189 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||90|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$36,300||$34,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- New Mexico Junior College first opened its doors to students in the fall of 1966. Since that time it has grown to be one of the finest community colleges in the "Land of Enchantment" with a current enrollment of 3,239. The campus is contained on 243 acres with over 331,400 gross square feet of building space, worth an estimated $37.3 million. NMJC offers associate degrees in science, applied science, and arts; in addition, several certificate programs in vocational trade areas are offered. NMJC maintains a very strong college credit transfer program coordinated with area universities and colleges. Based upon a strong foundation built at NMJC, students transferring to senior universities compete and succeed at a level equal to or above their new college peers. NMJC students have also advanced to successful professional and academic careers. The staff at New Mexico Junior College recognizes the importance of a variety of collegiate experiences, and we are proud of our varied activities that can make your stay at NMJC enjoyable and exciting. Some of the activities include performing arts, visual arts,?Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Phi Beta Lambda Business Fraternity, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, intramural programs, the Student Nurse Association,?and a host of intercollegiate athletics and other activities. New Mexico Junior College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and holds membership in the American Association of Collegiate Registrars & Admissions Officers, American Association of Community Colleges, Association of Community College Trustees, New Mexico Council of Independent Community Colleges, League for Innovation in the Community College, Learning Resources Network (LERN), National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators, National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.
- The nearest community college to New Mexico Junior College is New Mexico State University-Carlsbad (66.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,852 students | 66.70 Mi1500 University Dr
Carlsbad,  NM  88220
- 9,661 students | 73.70 Mi1401 S. College Ave
Levelland,  TX  79336
- 5,059 students | 77.40 Mi201 W University Blvd
Odessa,  TX  79764
- 5,645 students | 80.50 Mi3600 N Garfield
Midland,  TX  79705
- 3,303 students | 86.60 Mi52 University Blvd
Roswell,  NM  88202
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.