Mesalands Community College
- Mesalands Community College is an institution of higher education that promotes student learning through quality education and services while fostering personal growth, leadership, and opportunity to a culturally diverse community.
- The teacher population of 34 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Mesalands Community College||(NM) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Associate of Arts Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||34 staff||72 staff|
|Total Enrollment||793 students||1,793 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||23:1||30:1|
|# Full-Time Students||260 students||604 students|
|# Part-Time Students||533 students||1,189 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$24,200||$34,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Mesalands Community College was established as Tucumcari Area Vocational School (TAVS) under the Area Vocational School Act of New Mexico during the thirty-third Legislative Session of the State of New Mexico. In January 1979, an act of the Legislature authorized the establishment of an area vocational school in Tucumcari. The school was authorized to offer programs of vocational education leading to certificates and diplomas. Mesalands Community College is situated at 911 South Tenth Street in Tucumcari, New Mexico. Tumcari, located in the eastern part of the state and surrounded by scenic mesas, is recognizable by its landmark, the 5,000-ft. butte known as Tucumcari Mountain. The campus of Mesalands Community College is positioned on 23 acres, with room for future expansion. The main campus is comprised of five buildings, with three additional buildings located at other sites off the main campus. As a community college, we are here to meet your educational goals and aspirations. Whether you are interested in improving your pre-collegiate skills, training for a technical career, or preparing to transfer to a four-year institution, we can fulfill your needs. As a small college, we can provide personal attention and a caring atmosphere that is difficult to find elsewhere. Our small classes and caring faculty create a learning environment designed to make our students successful. Mesalands Community College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The nearest community college to Mesalands Community College is Clovis Community College (61.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,745 students | 61.70 Mi417 Schepps Blvd
Clovis,  NM  88101
- 1,440 students | 90.00 Mi336 Luna Drive
Las Vegas,  NM  87701
- 10,336 students | 106.60 Mi2011 S. Washington
Amarillo,  TX  79109
- 470 students | 129.10 Mi101 W. College Blvd.
Roswell,  NM  88201
- 6,242 students | 131.10 Mi6401 Richards Ave
Santa Fe,  NM  87508
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.