- Mesalands Community College is an institution of higher education that promotes student learning through quality education and services while fostering personal growth, leadership, and opportunity to a culturally diverse community.
Mesalands Community College serves 709 students (17% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 11:1 is same as the state community college average of 11:1.
Minority enrollment is 49% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 70%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 709 students
- In-state tuition: $1,560
- Out-state tuition: $2,544
- Student:teacher ratio: 11:1
- Minority enrollment: 49%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Mesalands Community College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in New Mexico for:
Debt For Students
The teacher population of 64 teachers has grown by 88% over five years.
Mesalands Community College
(NM) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Mesalands Community College has declined by 29% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 11:1 has decreased from 14:1 over five years.
The Mesalands Community College diversity score of 0.67 is equal to the state average of 0.67. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $1,560 is less than the state average of $2,058. The in-state tuition has declined by 13% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $2,544 is less than the state average of $4,616. The out-state tuition has declined by 12% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Mesalands Community College was established as Tucumcari Area Vocational School (TAVS) under the Area Vocational School Act of New Mexico during the thirty-third Legislative Session of the State of New Mexico. In January 1979, an act of the Legislature authorized the establishment of an area vocational school in Tucumcari. The school was authorized to offer programs of vocational education leading to certificates and diplomas. Mesalands Community College is situated at 911 South Tenth Street in Tucumcari, New Mexico. Tumcari, located in the eastern part of the state and surrounded by scenic mesas, is recognizable by its landmark, the 5,000-ft. butte known as Tucumcari Mountain. The campus of Mesalands Community College is positioned on 23 acres, with room for future expansion. The main campus is comprised of five buildings, with three additional buildings located at other sites off the main campus. As a community college, we are here to meet your educational goals and aspirations. Whether you are interested in improving your pre-collegiate skills, training for a technical career, or preparing to transfer to a four-year institution, we can fulfill your needs. As a small college, we can provide personal attention and a caring atmosphere that is difficult to find elsewhere. Our small classes and caring faculty create a learning environment designed to make our students successful. Mesalands Community College is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission, a Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Mesalands Community College cost?
Mesalands Community College's tuition is approximately $1,560 for In-State students and $2,544 for Out-State students.
What is Mesalands Community College's ranking?
Mesalands Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in New Mexico for: Percent of students receiving financial aid, Highest completion rates and Least debt for graduating students.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.