Lake Michigan College
- The philosophy of Lake Michigan College, an institution of higher education, is founded on the belief that education is for all who wish to develop their potential. It is fundamental that a community college assist in meeting the educational, career, cultural, wellness and recreational needs of the community it serves.
- The teacher population of 133 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Lake Michigan College||(MI) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||133 staff||100 staff|
|Total Enrollment||4,219 students||3,505 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||32:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,294 students||1,591 students|
|# Part-Time Students||2,925 students||1,914 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||188||288|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate (Year 2014)|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$27,300||$30,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Lake Michigan College (LMC), founded in 1946, is a two-year comprehensive community college located in the southwest corner of Michigan. Serving 177,000 residents of Berrien County, Covert Township in Van Buren County, and the South Haven School District, LMC is the region's leader in higher education and serves as a cultural center, regional economic partner, and a leader in diversity and innovation. As a multi-campus college, LMC puts student access to programs and services at the forefront with classes offered at four campus locations, at extension centers throughout the service area, online, and through telecourses. In addition to associate degree and certificate programs, LMC offers customized business training and continuing education through its Community and Business Services division. The Lake Michigan College Napier Avenue Campus sets on a 262-acre site that features a lake, natural area, athletic fields, nature and jogging trails, and lighted parking areas. The academic building houses classrooms, faculty and administrative offices, laboratories, lecture halls, library, gymnasium, Richard J. Pappas Student Services Center, a childcare center and computer labs. The Mendel Center for Arts and Technology is also located on the campus. It serves as a performing arts center with the 1,500-seat Mainstage Theatre and the 246-seat Hanson Theatre. The center is also home to conference and meeting facilities including the 14,400-square-foot Grand Upton Hall, the Louis and Fedrick Upton Telecommunications Center and the Advanced Technologies Training Center. Also located on the Napier Avenue Campus are Siena Heights University and Western Michigan University-Southwest. Each institution offers bachelor's and master's degrees in a variety of disciplines. The College has strong working relationships with other educational institutions including Siena Heights University and Western Michigan University-Southwest. Through these partnerships, area residents have access to bachelors, masters, and doctoral degree programs on the LMC campuses. LMC also works closely with the K-12 public, private, and charter schools to provide dual enrollment/direct credit programs, technical preparation programs, and career exploration events.
- The nearest community college to Lake Michigan College is Southwestern Michigan College (18.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 2,567 students | 18.00 Mi58900 Cherry Grove Rd
Dowagiac,  MI  49047
- 520 students | 26.50 Mi54515 State Road 933 North
Notre Dame,  IN  46556
- 340 students | 28.40 Mi3454 Douglas Rd.
South Bend,  IN  46635
- 8,149 students | 30.50 Mi220 Dean Johnson Blvd
South Bend,  IN  46601
- 9,489 students | 37.60 Mi6767 West O Ave
Kalamazoo,  MI  49003
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.