Southwestern Michigan College
- The mission of Southwestern Michigan College is to be the college of first choice for students who have a choice, the college that provides the programs and services to meet the needs of students with limited choices, and the college that serves our community.
- The teacher population of 94 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southwestern Michigan College||(MI) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||94 staff||100 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,567 students||3,505 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||27:1||35:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,236 students||1,591 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,331 students||1,914 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||390||288|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,700||$30,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- We offer small class sizes, ensuring you will receive significant personalized attention from your instructors. We have campuses conveniently located in Dowagiac and Niles - close to home and work. We also have academic support services that offer assistance every step of the way from the time you apply for admission to SMC to the completion of your degree and beyond. We have high quality transfer courses and curricula for students who wish to pursue their first two years of a four-year degree at SMC before transferring to a four-year college or university. Plus, SMC is committed to offering the highest quality academic experience at less than half the cost of most four-year colleges and universities. Southwestern Michigan College offers two-year transfer programs (Associate in Arts and Associate in Sciences degrees) and professional technical programs. In addition, students can now complete a bachelor's degree in one of six areas right on our campuses. Southwestern Michigan College offers many scholarships, including generous awards for academically talented students in the most recent high school class. Southwestern Michigan College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- The nearest community college to Southwestern Michigan College is Lake Michigan College (18.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 4,219 students | 18.00 Mi2755 East Napier Avenue
Benton Harbor,  MI  49022
- 340 students | 18.40 Mi3454 Douglas Rd.
South Bend,  IN  46635
- 520 students | 18.90 Mi54515 State Road 933 North
Notre Dame,  IN  46556
- 8,149 students | 22.50 Mi220 Dean Johnson Blvd
South Bend,  IN  46601
- 9,489 students | 27.60 Mi6767 West O Ave
Kalamazoo,  MI  49003
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.