George C Wallace State Community College-Selma
- Wallace Community College Selma is committed to create and maintain a quality educational environment that promotes and supports a student body, faculty, staff, and administration that is multicultural and diverse, and reflective of our student body and community population.
- The teacher population of 75 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|George C Wallace State Community College-Selma||(AL) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||75 staff||73 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,761 students||1,756 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||23:1||28:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,085 students||1,004 students|
|# Part-Time Students||676 students||752 students|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$28,900||$29,500|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Wallace Community College Selma is a member of the Alabama College Association, the largest system of higher education in Alabama. WCCS has 1,709 students from across Central Alabama. WCCS nursing programs (LPN & ADN) are accredited by the Alabama State Board of Nursing, and the ADN program is accredited by the National League of Nursing (NLN). WCCS offers programs under the following options - Associate in Arts (A.A.) Degree and Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree & University Parallel Transfer Programs. WCCS offers (16) technical programs - Auto Body Repair, Air Conditioning/Refrigeration, Auto Mechanics, Cosmetology, Drafting & Design Technology, Electrical Technology, Office Administration (Clerk Typist), Office Administration (Accounting), Information Processing (Secretarial), Information Technology, Medical Transcription, Practical Nursing, Nursing Assistant, Masonry/Building Trades, Machine Tool Technology & Welding. WCCS also offers Technical Linkage Programs (Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) programs. The Student Support Services Program funded by the federal government and the college is designed to help students whose placement scores indicate a need to strengthen Reading and English skills prior to their enrolling in selected college level courses or technical programs. Students are placed into the Student Support Services Programs following basic skills evaluation. WCCS participates in varsity competition in basketball and baseball. WCCS is a member of the Alabama Junior College Conference and the National Junior College Athletic Association.
- The nearest community college to George C Wallace State Community College-Selma is Concordia College Alabama (1.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 546 students | 1.70 Mi1712 Broad Street
Selma,  AL  36701
- 439 students | 21.50 Mi1101 Washington St
Marion,  AL  36756
- 1,338 students | 39.70 Mi1225 Air Base Blvd
Montgomery,  AL  36108
- 315 students | 44.70 Mi3736 Atlanta Hwy
Montgomery,  AL  36109
- 943 students | 45.90 Mi3920 troy hwy
Montgomery,  AL  36116
A new study by the Massachusetts Teachers Association has urged the state to hire more full-time faculty members at community colleges after uncovering a host of issues related to a growing adjunct faculty at these schools.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.