Florida SouthWestern State College
- Edison State College is a comprehensive public college dedicated to educational excellence in programs ranging from continuing education to the baccalaureate degree. The faculty and staff are committed to preparing students to be productive citizens by helping them develop academic and professional proficiencies; to think logically, critically, and analytically; to communicate effectively; to seek and evaluate information; and to act with sound judgment in the interest of our global community.
Florida SouthWestern State College places among the top 20% of community colleges in Florida for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 322 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Florida SouthWestern State College||(FL) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||Four or more years||Four or more years|
|Institution Control||Public||Private, non-profit|
|Total Faculty||322 staff||37 staff|
|Total Enrollment||15,389 students||1,142 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||48:1||38:1|
|# Full-Time Students||5,116 students||487 students|
|# Part-Time Students||10,273 students||655 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||404||184|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$36,200||$30,300|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Edison's Collier County Campus opened in March of 1992. The beautiful campus is located on a 80-acre site near State Road 951 and Rattlesnake Hammock Road, in east Naples. The Charlotte County Campus opened in 1997. Located on a wooded site on Airport Road in Punta Gorda, the campus is an excellent addition to the Charlotte area. Edison State also provides Outreach services to students in Hendry and Glades counties. Edison State College is governed by its District Board of Trustees composed of nine representatives from Charlotte, Collier, Hendry, Glades and Lee Counties. The members are appointed to four-year terms by the Governor of Florida. Currently about 340 professional and support staff members provide the full-time instructional and support services for the more than 15,000 credit and nearly 3,000 non-credit students who participate in Edison courses and programs each year. The Lee County Campus is located on approximately 140 acres between College Parkway and Cypress Lake Drive in South Lee County. Courses of study leading to Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, or certificate programs, as well as non-credit Continuing Education classes are offered at the Lee County Campus. The campus is made up of one and two story classroom buildings including: library, bookstore, cafeteria, student center, auditorium, and specialized laboratories for science, computer science, nursing, health technologies, and college preparatory classes. The Barbara B. Mann Performing Arts Hall and the Gallery of Fine Art are located on Lee County Campus. Student Services include prospective student relations, admission advising, registration assistance, transfer student advising, retention, coordination of financial aid and scholarships, job announcement and placement support, and community college articulation.
- The nearest community college to Florida SouthWestern State College is Southern Technical College (Fort Myers) (2.8 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,259 students | 2.80 Mi1685 Medical Lane
Fort Myers,  FL  33907
- 2,780 students | 73.70 Mi600 W College Dr
Avon Park,  FL  33825
- 143 students | 74.20 Mi616 67th Street Circle East
Bradenton,  FL  34208
- 10,314 students | 74.50 Mi5840 26th St W
Bradenton,  FL  34207
- 27,298 students | 101.40 Mi39 Columbia Drive
Tampa,  FL  33606
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.