- The mission of Cerro Coso Community College is to provide high quality degree and certificate curricula in lower division arts and sciences and in vocational/ technical/ occupational education. Essential to this mission is providing support services which enhance student opportunities for success. As part of this mission, the college will respond to the interests, aspirations, and capabilities of students while encouraging them to develop as useful, contributing members of society.
- Enrollment: 5,159 students
- In-state tuition: $1,290
- Out-state tuition: $7,086
- Student:teacher ratio: 27:1
- Minority enrollment: 54%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Cerro Coso Community College was established in 1973 as a separate college within the Kern Community College District. Cerro Coso has five instructional sites (Eastern Sierra Center Bishop & Mammoth, Indian Wells Valley, Kern River Valley, and South Kern), which together form the largest geographical service area (18,000 square miles) of any community college in California and which serve a population of approximately 85,000. A leader in online education, Cerro Coso has been offering online classes since 1997 and offers 9 Associate's degrees entirely online and as many as 100+ classes online each year, with approximately 100 sections per semester. The 320-acre Indian Wells Valley Campus is located in the upper Mojave Desert in the community of Ridgecrest, with a population of 28,000. Ridgecrest is located 130 miles northeast of Los Angeles and 120 miles east of Bakersfield. Cerro Coso Community College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges. The college and its programs are also approved by the California Community College Board of Governors, the California Board of Licensed Vocational Nurse and Psychiatric Examiners, and the California Department of Education for the enrollment of veterans. The University of California and other universities and colleges give full credit to appropriate lower division courses completed at Cerro Coso Community College. CCOnline, Cerro Coso Community College's virtual campus, currently offers associate degrees online, the general education courses necessary to meet transfer requirements to a four year institution, and student support services. CCOnline has an international reputation for excellence and provides an extraordinary opportunity for those too distant from a community college or too involved in business or family to pursue higher education during traditional hours.