- Central Virginia Community College, a two-year institution established as a member of the Virginia Community College System, provides State-supported educational facilities beyond the high school level for the cities of Lynchburg and Bedford and the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, and Campbell. The curricula and programs of the College serve more than 228,000 people within this geographical jurisdiction.
Central Virginia Community College serves 3,370 students (34% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 is lower than the state community college average of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 24% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the state average of 48%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 3,370 students
- In-state tuition: $4,248
- Out-state tuition: $10,068
- Student:teacher ratio: 14:1
- Minority enrollment: 24%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Central Virginia Community College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
Debt For Students
The teacher population of 234 teachers has grown by 75% over five years.
Central Virginia Community College
(VA) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Central Virginia Community College has declined by 18% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has decreased from 16:1 over five years.
The Central Virginia Community College diversity score of 0.40 is less than the state average of 0.66. The school's diversity has declined by 13% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,248 is more than the state average of $3,736. The in-state tuition has declined by 10% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $10,068 is more than the state average of $8,977. The out-state tuition has declined by 5% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Early in 1965, a local committee was formed to investigate the needs and feasibility of a community college for the Central Virginia region; and in July, 1966, the State Board for Community Colleges selected Central Virginia as a community college location to serve the cities of Lynchburg and Bedford and the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford and Campbell. The site selected, where Central Virginia Community College presently stands, was approved by the State and Local Boards because of its geographic center to the service area's population and accessibility to all major highways in the area. With academic excellence its aim in all areas, the College offers various programs to meet the diverse needs of the region it serves. Its two-year college transfer programs in arts and sciences and in certain pre-professional areas lead to associate degrees and offer courses generally acceptable for transfer to four-year institutions. Its occupational and technical programs lead to diplomas, certificates, or associate of applied science degrees and are designed to prepare individuals for certain professions. Its other programs, including developmental work, special training for industry, and community service, offer instruction commensurate with the needs of individuals, groups or the area at large.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Central Virginia Community College cost?
Central Virginia Community College's tuition is approximately $4,248 for In-State students and $10,068 for Out-State students.
What is Central Virginia Community College's ranking?
Central Virginia Community College ranks among the top 20% of community college in Virginia for: Least debt for graduating students.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
Housing is Down, but California Community College Construction Projects Still Strong
Although California’s real estate may be soft, the state’s community college constructions projects are booming. Learn about where the $1.6 billion is going and how community colleges are improving their facilities.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.