Center for Advanced Legal Studies
Top Ranked (2022): View Rankings
Tel: (713) 529-2778
- The mission of Center for Advanced Legal Studies is to provide students with the skills and practical and ethical knowledge necessary to excel as paralegals and meet the needs of the legal, governmental, and corporate communities.
Center for Advanced Legal Studies ranks among the top 20% of community colleges in Texas for:
- Category Attribute
- Selectivity Lowest acceptance rates
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
The teacher population of 19 teachers has grown by 375% over five years.
|Center for Advanced Legal Studies||(TX) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Special Focus Two-Year: Other Fields||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-High Traditional|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||19 staff||262 staff|
|Number of Programs Offered||2||10|
Source: 2020 (or latest year available) IPEDS
Center for Advanced Legal Studies (CALS), founded in 1987, is an accredited college in Texas that specializes in paralegal education and training.
- CALS offers a Paralegal Certificate program designed for individuals who have previously earned a college degree, and an Associate of Applied Science Degree program for those in search of their first college degree. Both programs are accredited and provide a comprehensive skills-based approach to paralegal studies.
- Both paralegal programs are offered 100% online using technology whereby students can see and hear their instructors in real-time.
- Specializing solely in paralegal education gives CALS the freedom to design our classrooms, library, and other resources to meet the specific needs of our paralegal students and faculty. Our classrooms are spacious, comfortable, and provide our students with ample room to take notes and arrange their materials.
- CALS' library is equipped with resources specific to the study of law, has generous work areas, Westlaw access, and provides a quiet atmosphere for research and study.
- Graduates are assisted by a full-time Director of Career Services who helps students prepare for their job search and assists in setting up job interviews with historical employers of CALS graduates.
- Center for Advanced Legal Studies is accredited by Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) and Council on Occupational Education (COE).
- The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board authorizes the Associate of Applied Science Degree Program at Center for Advanced Legal Studies.
- CALS is approved and regulated by the Texas Workforce Commission, Career Schools and Colleges, Austin, Texas.
Profile last updated: 04/05/2022
The nearest community college to Center for Advanced Legal Studies is The Art Institute of Houston (1.1 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 711 students | 1.10 MiRiver Oaks Plaza, 4140 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027
(713) 623-2040 1.10711
- 197 students | 2.20 Mi4669 Southwest Fwy Ste 100
Houston, TX 77027
(713) 629-1500 2.20197
- 56,151 students | 2.60 Mi3100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77002
(877) 422-6111 2.6056,151
- 460 students | 5.40 Mi7000 Regency Square Blvd.
Houston, TX 77036
(713) 785-5995 5.40460
- 147 students | 5.60 Mi7277 Regency Sq Blvd
Houston, TX 77036
(713) 974-7181 5.60147
While intended to regulate for-profit vocational colleges, the Gainful Employment Rule may hurt public community colleges. Learn about the new Department of Education rule and how it may impact your education.
While community colleges are a very affordable option over four-year universities, some campuses are increasing their tuition either across the board or for popular degree programs.
Learn more about The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 ("CCRAA" or the "Act"), which was enacted to make college more affordable for low- and moderate-income students by phasing in increases in government grants.