Bluefield State College
- Bluefield State College is dedicated to preparing you for a career and helping you develop the skills that will equip you to assume a leadership role in society. All members of the staff are here to help you to succeed. At BSC, the Student Government Association’s (SGA) purpose is to serve as the main governing body for students. The SGA provides funding for recognized student organizations, promotes events on campus that create pride in the campus, and voices the opinions and concerns of the student body to the administration. Overall, the SGA strives to bring all students together; through hard work and dedication, the SGA constantly works to make BSC a better place. Beyond the events and activities BSC offers, you will also notice that we are a culturally diverse campus with a rich historical background that will provide you with the history, education and social skills needed to thrive in today’s workforce. The faculty and staff here at BSC will drive you to, not only meet but exceed the goals set forth by the college, as well as your own goals.
Bluefield State College places among the top 20% of community colleges in West Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 93 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Bluefield State College||(WV) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||93 staff||49 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,563 students||1,060 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||23:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,251 students||435 students|
|# Part-Time Students||312 students||625 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$32,700||$25,000|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The nearest community college to Bluefield State College is Valley College-Princeton (10.5 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 89 students | 10.50 Mi617 Mercer Street
Princeton,  WV  24740
- 3,302 students | 23.70 Mi1000 E Main Street
Wytheville,  VA  24382
- 4,585 students | 31.80 Mi5251 College Drive
Dublin,  VA  24084
- 2,546 students | 33.00 Mi369 College Road US Rt. 19, 6 Miles S. Claypool Hill
Richlands,  VA  24641
- 331 students | 34.60 Mi120 New River Town Center
Beckley,  WV  25801
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.