Bluefield State College
- Bluefield State College is dedicated to preparing you for a career and helping you develop the skills that will equip you to assume a leadership role in society. All members of the staff are here to help you to succeed. At BSC, the Student Government Association’s (SGA) purpose is to serve as the main governing body for students. The SGA provides funding for recognized student organizations, promotes events on campus that create pride in the campus, and voices the opinions and concerns of the student body to the administration. Overall, the SGA strives to bring all students together; through hard work and dedication, the SGA constantly works to make BSC a better place. Beyond the events and activities BSC offers, you will also notice that we are a culturally diverse campus with a rich historical background that will provide you with the history, education and social skills needed to thrive in today’s workforce. The faculty and staff here at BSC will drive you to, not only meet but exceed the goals set forth by the college, as well as your own goals.
Bluefield State College places among the top 20% of community colleges in West Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Earnings Highest graduate earnings (10 years post graduation)
- The teacher population of 93 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Bluefield State College||(WV) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs|
|Total Faculty||93 staff||49 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,563 students||1,060 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||23:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,251 students||435 students|
|# Part-Time Students||312 students||625 students|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$32,700||$25,000|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- The nearest community college to Bluefield State College is Valley College-Princeton (10.9 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 89 students | 10.90 Mi617 Mercer Street
Princeton,  WV  24740
- 3,302 students | 23.20 Mi1000 E Main Street
Wytheville,  VA  24382
- 4,585 students | 32.00 Mi5251 College Drive
Dublin,  VA  24084
- 2,546 students | 32.70 Mi369 College Road US Rt. 19, 6 Miles S. Claypool Hill
Richlands,  VA  24641
- 2,551 students | 35.20 Mi280 University Drive
Beaver,  WV  25813
We continue to report on the ongoing saga in the California community college system. Schools are now opening for fall semester with fewer courses due to serious budget cuts, and students are feeling the academic pain.
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.