- York Technical College, a member of the South Carolina Technical and Comprehensive Education System, is a public, two-year, associate degree-granting institution. York Technical College seeks to contribute to the economic growth and development of York, Lancaster, and Chester counties and of the State. Through excellence in teaching and partnerships, the College responds to the technical and public service needs of the community. The College has an open admissions policy for qualified students and annually enrolls 5,500 to 6,000 credit students. York Technical College provides opportunities for individuals with diverse backgrounds and ability levels to acquire or upgrade the knowledge and skills necessary in engineering technology, industrial technology, information technology, business, health, or public service employment or for transfer to senior colleges and universities. In addition to teaching technical skills, the College seeks to provide graduates competency in written and oral communication, computer skills, mathematics, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
York Technical College serves 4,178 students (49% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 10:1 is lower than the state community college average of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 34% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the state average of 38%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 4,178 students
- In-state tuition: $4,577
- Out-state tuition: $9,137
- Student:teacher ratio: 10:1
- Minority enrollment: 34%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
York Technical College ranks among the top 20% of public schools in South Carolina for:
Debt For Students
The teacher population of 404 teachers has grown by 112% over five years.
York Technical College
(SC) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of York Technical College has declined by 7% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 10:1 has decreased from 11:1 over five years.
The York Technical College diversity score of 0.52 is less than the state average of 0.55. The school's diversity has declined by 11% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,577 is less than the state average of $5,692. The in-state tuition has declined by 5% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $9,137 is less than the state average of $10,568. The out-state tuition has declined by 5% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- York Technical College opened in 1964 as a Technical Education Center and began with 60 students enrolled in seven programs all housed in one building. The College has grown in the past four decades from the initial enrollment to over 4,000 credit students in more than 70 credit programs. The College campus has also grown from one building to 14. In 1974, York County Technical Education Center became York Technical College. In addition to offering academic programs, the College provides continuing education for approximately 7,000 area residents and more than 250 businesses. This translates to about 325,000 contact hours of continuing education. The College offers Associate degrees in university transfer, technical, occupational and vocational. Diplomas and certificates in vocational, technical and occupational field. The college also offers Developmental and remedial education and Custom-designed continuing education for business and industry. The college offers programs in Business, Computer, Arts and Sciences, Health and Human Services and Industrial and Engineering Technologies. York Technical College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award Associate Degrees, Diplomas, and Certificates.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does York Technical College cost?
York Technical College's tuition is approximately $4,577 for In-State students and $9,137 for Out-State students.
What is York Technical College's ranking?
York Technical College ranks among the top 20% of community college in South Carolina for: Least debt for graduating students.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
Housing is Down, but California Community College Construction Projects Still Strong
Although California’s real estate may be soft, the state’s community college constructions projects are booming. Learn about where the $1.6 billion is going and how community colleges are improving their facilities.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.