Mayland Community College
- Mayland offers a variety of curriculum programs, including numerous college transfer options, as well as adult education, distance learning, and dual enrollment for high school students. The open-door admission policy accepts students as young as 14, in the Early College High School, and as senior as octogenarians, in the Continuing Education Program.
- The teacher population of 93 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Mayland Community College||(NC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||93 staff||139 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,128 students||2,380 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1||19:1|
|# Full-Time Students||393 students||1,019 students|
|# Part-Time Students||735 students||1,361 students|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-|
|% Two or more races||-|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$25,300||$27,500|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Association of Student Medical Assistants, Circle K International, Collegiate Future Farmers of America (FFA), Early Childhood Education Club, Human Services Student Organization, Student Ambassadors Association, Student Government Association, Student Nurses Assiciation
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Mayland Community College is located in the Appalachian Mountains of western North Carolina. It is currently one of 58 institutions operating under the North Carolina Community College System.
- Mayland offers a variety of curriculum programs, including numerous college transfer options, as well as adult education, distance learning, and dual enrollment for high school students. The open-door admission policy accepts students as young as 14, in the Early College High School, and as senior as octogenarians, in the Continuing Education Program.???
- To assist the local workforce, MCC provides hundreds of workforce development and continuing education courses that directly serve the needs of local and regional business and industries, as well as the civic and cultural interests of the community. And the colleges recent revitalization involves a strong commitment to the economic development within the three counties it serves.
- In addition, Mayland Community College offers correctional education at Avery/Mitchell and Mountain View correctional facilities.
- Our successes and achievements consistently receive national rankings.
- 10th ranked college on the 50 top community colleges ?thebestschools.org
- 32nd ranked college in the top 50 community colleges ?Washington Monthly
- 9th ranked college in the nations top 10 community colleges ?Bankrate, Inc.
- 16th ranked in Community Colleges in the U.S.??Create A Careers Top 25?
- In its role as the educational gateway to opportunity in Mitchell, Avery, and Yancey counties, Mayland values community, excellence, and opportunity above all.
- The nearest community college to Mayland Community College is McDowell Technical Community College (19.4 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,056 students | 19.40 Mi54 College Drive
Marion,  NC  28752
- 2,056 students | 23.50 Mi1001 Burkemont Ave
Morganton,  NC  28655
- 3,876 students | 30.20 Mi2855 Hickory Blvd.
Hudson,  NC  28638
- 7,507 students | 39.30 Mi340 Victoria Rd
Asheville,  NC  28801
- 303 students | 40.90 Mi140 Sweeten Creek Road
Asheville,  NC  28803
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.
Living with roommates is part of an authentic college experience, but is it an option for community college students? Read on to learn about housing options in community college and to learn how to survive the year with roommates.
Some people seem to graduate high school but never really leave the academic world behind. No matter what career you pursue, there are plenty of opportunities for higher education, but are they worth it. Read on to learn about graduate degrees in nursing and whether they are worth the time, cost, and effort.