Mayland Community College
Tel: (828) 766-1273
- Mayland offers a variety of curriculum programs, including numerous college transfer options, as well as adult education, distance learning, and dual enrollment for high school students. The open-door admission policy accepts students as young as 14, in the Early College High School, and as senior as octogenarians, in the Continuing Education Program.
The teacher population of 93 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Mayland Community College||(NC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||93 staff||141 staff|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Association of Student Medical Assistants, Circle K International, Collegiate Future Farmers of America (FFA), Early Childhood Education Club, Human Services Student Organization, Student Ambassadors Association, Student Government Association, Student Nurses Assiciation
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Mayland Community College is located in the Appalachian Mountains of western North Carolina. It is currently one of 58 institutions operating under the North Carolina Community College System.
- Mayland offers a variety of curriculum programs, including numerous college transfer options, as well as adult education, distance learning, and dual enrollment for high school students. The open-door admission policy accepts students as young as 14, in the Early College High School, and as senior as octogenarians, in the Continuing Education Program.???
- To assist the local workforce, MCC provides hundreds of workforce development and continuing education courses that directly serve the needs of local and regional business and industries, as well as the civic and cultural interests of the community. And the colleges recent revitalization involves a strong commitment to the economic development within the three counties it serves.
- In addition, Mayland Community College offers correctional education at Avery/Mitchell and Mountain View correctional facilities.
- Our successes and achievements consistently receive national rankings.
- 10th ranked college on the 50 top community colleges ?thebestschools.org
- 32nd ranked college in the top 50 community colleges ?Washington Monthly
- 9th ranked college in the nations top 10 community colleges ?Bankrate, Inc.
- 16th ranked in Community Colleges in the U.S.??Create A Careers Top 25?
- In its role as the educational gateway to opportunity in Mitchell, Avery, and Yancey counties, Mayland values community, excellence, and opportunity above all.
The nearest community college to Mayland Community College is McDowell Technical Community College (19.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,105 students | 19.60 Mi54 College Drive
Marion,  NC  28752
(828) 652-6021 19.601,105
- 1,779 students | 23.50 Mi1001 Burkemont Ave
Morganton,  NC  28655
(828) 438-3500 23.501,779
- 3,581 students | 30.40 Mi2855 Hickory Boulevard
Hudson,  NC  28638
(828) 726-2200 30.403,581
- 303 students | 38.50 Mi140 Sweeten Creek Road
Asheville,  NC  28803
(828) 398-2500 38.50303
- 6,892 students | 39.40 Mi340 Victoria Rd
Asheville,  NC  28801
(828) 254-1921 39.406,892
For-profit colleges are now becoming an alternative for community college students who are stuck on waiting lists or who hope to earn bachelor's degrees. Learn more about the opportunities and articulation agreements between for-profit colleges and community colleges.
Education now comes with a money-back guarantee. Learn about which community college is guaranteeing that its graduates will secure jobs - or get their money back.
The world was ill-prepared to find itself in the midst of a global pandemic and the effects of the past year will linger for many years to come. No industry was unaffected and the pandemic brought to light inequities in many, particularly the U.S. education system. Read on to learn how the pandemic has affected community colleges and what students can expect in the future.