Mayland Community College
- Mayland offers a variety of curriculum programs, including numerous college transfer options, as well as adult education, distance learning, and dual enrollment for high school students. The open-door admission policy accepts students as young as 14, in the Early College High School, and as senior as octogenarians, in the Continuing Education Program.
The teacher population of 93 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Mayland Community College||(NC) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate of Arts Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 yrs but < 4 yrs||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||93 staff||139 staff|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Club or Organization:|
Association of Student Medical Assistants, Circle K International, Collegiate Future Farmers of America (FFA), Early Childhood Education Club, Human Services Student Organization, Student Ambassadors Association, Student Government Association, Student Nurses Assiciation
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Mayland Community College is located in the Appalachian Mountains of western North Carolina. It is currently one of 58 institutions operating under the North Carolina Community College System.
- Mayland offers a variety of curriculum programs, including numerous college transfer options, as well as adult education, distance learning, and dual enrollment for high school students. The open-door admission policy accepts students as young as 14, in the Early College High School, and as senior as octogenarians, in the Continuing Education Program.???
- To assist the local workforce, MCC provides hundreds of workforce development and continuing education courses that directly serve the needs of local and regional business and industries, as well as the civic and cultural interests of the community. And the colleges recent revitalization involves a strong commitment to the economic development within the three counties it serves.
- In addition, Mayland Community College offers correctional education at Avery/Mitchell and Mountain View correctional facilities.
- Our successes and achievements consistently receive national rankings.
- 10th ranked college on the 50 top community colleges ?thebestschools.org
- 32nd ranked college in the top 50 community colleges ?Washington Monthly
- 9th ranked college in the nations top 10 community colleges ?Bankrate, Inc.
- 16th ranked in Community Colleges in the U.S.??Create A Careers Top 25?
- In its role as the educational gateway to opportunity in Mitchell, Avery, and Yancey counties, Mayland values community, excellence, and opportunity above all.
The nearest community college to Mayland Community College is McDowell Technical Community College (19.6 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,056 students | 19.60 Mi54 College Drive
Marion,  NC  28752
(828) 652-6021 19.601,056
- 2,056 students | 23.50 Mi1001 Burkemont Ave
Morganton,  NC  28655
(828) 438-6000 23.502,056
- 3,876 students | 30.40 Mi2855 Hickory Blvd.
Hudson,  NC  28638
(828) 726-2200 30.403,876
- 303 students | 38.50 Mi140 Sweeten Creek Road
Asheville,  NC  28803
(828) 398-2500 38.50303
- 7,507 students | 39.40 Mi340 Victoria Rd
Asheville,  NC  28801
(828) 254-1921 39.407,507
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!