Mountain Empire Community College
- Mountain Empire Community College is a two-year college serving residents of Lee, Scott, Wise, and Dickenson counties, as well as the City of Norton. The College, one of twenty-three in the Virginia Community College System, operates under policies established by the State Board for Community Colleges and the Local Advisory Board. The College is financed primarily with state funds supplemented by contributions from the participating localities.
- The teacher population of 70 teachers has declined by 14% over five years.
|Mountain Empire Community College||(VA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||70 staff||45 staff|
|Total Enrollment||2,718 students||1,577 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||39:1||37:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,185 students||717 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,533 students||860 students|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$27,300||$29,600|
- In 1966, the Virginia Assembly enacted historic legislation establishing a statewide system of comprehensive community colleges. This legislation brought most post high school education below the bachelor's level into one system, and broadened the base of higher education in the state to such an extent that Virginia, for the first time in the twentieth century, took a major step toward democratizing higher education. As comprehensive institutions, the community colleges endeavor to serve all segments of society. In August 1971, Dr. George B. Vaughan was named president of Mountain Empire community College and groundbreaking ceremonies were held in October of that same year. The first classes were offered in the fall of 1972. The college provides a comprehensive program of student development services. The college offers occupational-technical education, transfer education, developmental studies, general education, continuing and distance education, workforce development, and community services. Mountain Empire Community College is located on 95 wooded acres. The college buildings includes Holton Hall, Godwin Hall, industrial technology building, Dalton-Cantrell Hall and Robb Hall. Mountain Empire Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the associate degree.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 3,660 students | 15.20 Mi700 College Rd
Cumberland,  KY  40823
- 5,865 students | 31.90 Mi2425 Hwy 75
Blountville,  TN  37617
- 3,462 students | 35.00 MiOne Community College Drive
Hazard,  KY  41701
- 9 students | 36.50 Mi100 Piedmont Ave
Bristol,  VA  24201
- 2,505 students | 43.40 Mi100 VHCC Drive
Abingdon,  VA  24212