Vermilion Community College
Vermilion Community College Photo #2 - A student taking a break from studying at one of the local lakes.
- Vermilion is a two-year residential college located in Ely, Minnesota on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW). Our 700 students come from across the country to study in this beautiful setting—the perfect place to get the hands-on and applied learning experiences offered by our environmental programs.
- The teacher population of 24 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Vermilion Community College||(MN) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||24 staff||56 staff|
|Total Enrollment||712 students||1,302 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||30:1||30:1|
|# Full-Time Students||458 students||768 students|
|# Part-Time Students||254 students||534 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||124|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$36,200||$35,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Vermilion offers a personal learning environment. Our 20:1 student/teacher ratio enables our instructors to know you on a first-name basis. Students can also participate in the many athletic, intramural, outdoor and student life activities offered by our faculty and staff. Vermilion offers a variety of two-year degree and one-year certificate programs. Vermilion programs prepare graduates through in-depth instruction which stresses hands-on applications. Vermilion's faculty profile has a rich mix of college instructors who bring their academic backgrounds and experience to the classroom.
- The nearest community college to Vermilion Community College is Mesabi Range College (42.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,373 students | 42.20 Mi1001 Chestnut St W
Virginia,  MN  55792
- 1,373 students | 43.50 Mi1100 Industrial Park Drive
Eveleth,  MN  55734
- 1,302 students | 60.50 Mi1515 E 25th St
Hibbing,  MN  55746
- 5,101 students | 78.70 Mi2101 Trinity Rd
Duluth,  MN  55811
- 325 students | 87.40 Mi1501 Hwy 71
International Falls,  MN  56649
We look at why millions of Americans are choosing community college over a traditional four-year school today.
Many students enroll in community college with the intent of transferring to a four-year school. Of those who do, many succeed, and yet traditional colleges and universities continue to overlook them. Read on to learn more about why more community college students don’t transfer schools and to receive some tips for making the transfer yourself.
Community college is the only option for many students who either can’t afford a traditional four-year university or who need a more flexible school environment. Just because community college is different, however, doesn’t mean that its students matter any less. The Aspen Prize exists to encourage community colleges to do more for their students and to continually strive for improvement.