Vermilion Community College
Vermilion Community College Photo #2 - A student taking a break from studying at one of the local lakes.
- Vermilion is a two-year residential college located in Ely, Minnesota on the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW). Our 700 students come from across the country to study in this beautiful setting—the perfect place to get the hands-on and applied learning experiences offered by our environmental programs.
- The teacher population of 24 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Vermilion Community College||(MN) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||Less than 2 yrs||Four or more years|
|Total Faculty||24 staff||56 staff|
|Total Enrollment||712 students||1,302 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||30:1||30:1|
|# Full-Time Students||458 students||768 students|
|# Part-Time Students||254 students||534 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||-||124|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$36,200||$35,400|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Vermilion offers a personal learning environment. Our 20:1 student/teacher ratio enables our instructors to know you on a first-name basis. Students can also participate in the many athletic, intramural, outdoor and student life activities offered by our faculty and staff. Vermilion offers a variety of two-year degree and one-year certificate programs. Vermilion programs prepare graduates through in-depth instruction which stresses hands-on applications. Vermilion's faculty profile has a rich mix of college instructors who bring their academic backgrounds and experience to the classroom.
- The nearest community college to Vermilion Community College is Mesabi Range College (42.2 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,373 students | 42.20 Mi1001 Chestnut St W
Virginia,  MN  55792
- 1,373 students | 43.50 Mi1100 Industrial Park Drive
Eveleth,  MN  55734
- 1,302 students | 60.50 Mi1515 E 25th St
Hibbing,  MN  55746
- 5,101 students | 78.70 Mi2101 Trinity Rd
Duluth,  MN  55811
- 143 students | 81.80 Mi4724 Mike Colalillo Drive
Duluth,  MN  55807
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.