- Taft College is committed to student learning in transfer and vocational programs supported by precollegiate basic skills and a wide range of student services. All programs and services are focused on the educational needs of the West Kern Community College District learners.
- The teacher population of 68 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Taft College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||68 staff||97 staff|
|Total Enrollment||5,217 students||7,516 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||77:1||44:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,230 students||1,613 students|
|# Part-Time Students||3,987 students||5,903 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||154||144|
|% American Indian/Alaskan||-||-|
|% Two or more races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$38,400||$34,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Taft College has been serving its community and students for over seventy-five years. This service has included the tradition of small classes, a focus on learning, strong interaction with faculty and staff, and access. Here students will find a college that engages learners as full partners in the learning process. Taft College's small classes provide the opportunity to work directly with an excellent faculty. Learners at Taft acquire the skills to succeed on their job, at transfer colleges, and in life. Taft College is located in the western Kern County community of Taft with a population of 17,000. The surrounding area brings the total population to about 21,000. The community is in the heart of the Midway-Sunset oilfield, one of the nation's best producing fields. While oil is the leading industry, the area also is rich in agriculture, light industry, and recreation. The campus is located at 29 Emmons Park Drive. Campus buildings are considered excellent structures with adequate space provided for physical education, recreation and athletics. The campus was built in 1956 and originally included classrooms, a library, student union, and administrative offices, marking the first step in separating the college from the high school. Taft College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- College Location Mi. Students
- 14,578 students | 24.90 Mi3041 West Ave K
Lancaster,  CA  93536
- 632 students | 36.20 Mi201 New Stine Rd.
Bakersfield,  CA  93309
- 562 students | 36.70 Mi5300 California Avenue
Bakersfield,  CA  93309
- 13,880 students | 38.50 Mi7075 Campus Rd
Moorpark,  CA  93021
- 17,148 students | 39.40 Mi26455 Rockwell Canyon Rd
Valencia,  CA  91355
Thanks to modern technology, students can now attend class from the comfort of their homes. While online courses were once deemed inferior to lecture halls, the stigma has seemed to fade as technology advances and becomes a greater and greater part of a standard academic curriculum.The virtual classroom is here, but are online college courses right for you?
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.