- Taft College is committed to student learning in transfer and vocational programs supported by precollegiate basic skills and a wide range of student services. All programs and services are focused on the educational needs of the West Kern Community College District learners.
Taft College serves 3,566 students (33% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is lower than the state community college average of 22:1.
Minority enrollment is 67% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the state average of 74%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 3,566 students
- In-state tuition: $1,380
- Out-state tuition: $7,170
- Student:teacher ratio: 16:1
- Minority enrollment: 67%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
The teacher population of 222 teachers has grown by 226% over five years.
(CA) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Taft College has declined by 43% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 has decreased from 27:1 over five years.
The Taft College diversity score of 0.57 is less than the state average of 0.70. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $1,380 is more than the state average of $1,246. The in-state tuition has grown by 25% over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $7,170 is more than the state average of $6,603. The out-state tuition has grown by 6% over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Taft College has been serving its community and students for over seventy-five years. This service has included the tradition of small classes, a focus on learning, strong interaction with faculty and staff, and access. Here students will find a college that engages learners as full partners in the learning process. Taft College's small classes provide the opportunity to work directly with an excellent faculty. Learners at Taft acquire the skills to succeed on their job, at transfer colleges, and in life. Taft College is located in the western Kern County community of Taft with a population of 17,000. The surrounding area brings the total population to about 21,000. The community is in the heart of the Midway-Sunset oilfield, one of the nation's best producing fields. While oil is the leading industry, the area also is rich in agriculture, light industry, and recreation. The campus is located at 29 Emmons Park Drive. Campus buildings are considered excellent structures with adequate space provided for physical education, recreation and athletics. The campus was built in 1956 and originally included classrooms, a library, student union, and administrative offices, marking the first step in separating the college from the high school. Taft College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Taft College cost?
Taft College's tuition is approximately $1,380 for In-State students and $7,170 for Out-State students.
Learn about the lucrative career opportunities in nano-technology and how you can begin your training right at community college.
The Top Challenges for Non-Traditional Students in Community College
If you are starting community college as an adult, there are certain challenges you can expect to face. Understanding and anticipating those challenges will help you to face them head-on with the greatest chance for success.
January 17, 2023ChatGPT: A Powerful Tool With Many Uses
When your database is the entire Internet, you can answer just about any question lightning-fast. Here are some suggestions for using ChatGTP in your college studies.