The teacher population of 439 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southwestern College||(CA) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate's Colleges: High Transfer-High Traditional||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-High Traditional|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||439 staff||149 staff|
Source: 2019 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Established in 1961, Southwestern College is one of 109 public community colleges in the state of California and the only institute of higher education located in the southern portion of San Diego County. Its location—nestled between the City of San Diego and the U.S.-Mexico international border on a 156-acre plot—positions it to play an important role in the intellectual growth of the more than 400,000 residents that call South County home. Serving approximately 19,000 students annually, Southwestern College offers more than 285 associate degree and certificate options. A host of noncredit courses designed to enhance personal and professional development are also offered through the College's Continuing Education department. Southwestern College has continuously received accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Whether pursuing an A.A. degree, preparing to transfer to a four-year college or university, or acquiring new occupational skills, students attending Southwestern College are given every opportunity to meet their educational goals. In addition to its centers, Southwestern College also provides off-campus classes at several extension sites throughout the district and operates an Aquatic Center in Coronado in conjunction with the California Department of Boating and Waterways. Current enrollment—at all locations—exceeds 19,000 students. More than a half-million students have attended Southwestern College since opening its doors 40 years ago.
The nearest community college to Southwestern College is Pima Medical Institute-Chula Vista (5.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 551 students | 5.70 Mi780 Bay Blvd Suite101
Chula Vista, CA 91910
(619) 425-3200 5.70551
- 664 students | 7.40 Mi4393 Imperial Avenue, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92113
(619) 688-0800 7.40664
- 8,824 students | 7.80 Mi900 Rancho San Diego Pky
El Cajon, CA 92019
(619) 660-4000 7.808,824
- 145 students | 9.30 Mi6250 El Cajon Blvd
San Diego, CA 92115
(619) 265-0107 9.30145
- 66 students | 10.30 Mi350 Tenth Avenue, Third Floor
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 235-2049 10.3066
Leading the country in slashing public education spending, Arizona voted to defund higher education, including Pima and Maricopa Community College Districts, leaving many Arizona college students wondering what this new state legislation means for the future of their education.
Read on to learn the ins and outs of crafting the perfect college application essay.
July 30, 2021
Going to college is a major commitment and a big decision – one that thousands of students postponed during the pandemic. Now that things are slowly returning to normal, what does the world of academia look like and what challenges are educators currently facing?