Southwest Mississippi Community College
- Southwest Mississippi Community College provides academic, career, and continuing education, meeting the diverse needs of the population at a reasonable cost. SMCC provides community services and promotes economic development through consultative and workforce training.
- The teacher population of 81 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southwest Mississippi Community College||(MS) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||81 staff||138 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,973 students||2,966 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||24:1||22:1|
|# Full-Time Students||1,666 students||2,344 students|
|# Part-Time Students||307 students||622 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||416||593|
|% Two or more races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$31,100||$29,800|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Southwest Mississippi Community College is a two-year college that offers the freshman and sophomore level academic transfer courses, and vocational-technical programs. In 1908, the Mississippi legislature enacted legislation allowing counties to establish agricultural high schools. On April 7, 1916, the Pike County School Board voted to establish such a high school. The ideal spot for the new agricultural high school was Godbold's Mineral Wells, located in a picturesque setting just northeast of Summit. Godbold's Mineral Wells, a state and national resort noted for its mineral waters, had outlived its glory years, yet it proved to be the perfect location for an educational facility. On September 3, 1918, Superintendent James Murray Kenna, six faculty members, and approximately forty students began the Pike County Agricultural High School - an institution destined to become Southwest Mississippi Community College. The original campus consisted of classroom buildings, dormitories, and a comprehensive farm, including dairy, beef, and row-crop operations. Still located on its original site, Southwest continues to grow and develop. The campus, located on a sixty-acre plot, includes twenty-eight buildings, a football stadium, and a baseball field. The buildings are situated around a central lake with walks, bridges, and paths connecting the buildings. The remainder of the approximately 855 acres is now a tree farm. Southwest Mississippi Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree.
- The nearest community college to Southwest Mississippi Community College is Northshore Technical College-Florida Parishes Branch Campus (35.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- n/a students | 35.00 Mi137 College Street
Greensburg,  LA  70441
- 3,029 students | 35.80 Mi1001 Co-Lin Lane
Wesson,  MS  39191
- 3,752 students | 51.20 Mi1710 Sullivan Dr
Bogalusa,  LA  70427
- n/a students | 54.10 Mi111 Pride Dr
Hammond,  LA  70401
- 771 students | 54.50 Mi3337 Hwy. 10
Jackson,  LA  70748
Thanks to modern technology, students can now attend class from the comfort of their homes. While online courses were once deemed inferior to lecture halls, the stigma has seemed to fade as technology advances and becomes a greater and greater part of a standard academic curriculum.The virtual classroom is here, but are online college courses right for you?
The role of community colleges in the world of higher education has expanded over the years and, as the country works to recover from the coronavirus pandemic, they may be more important now than ever. Read on to learn more about the changing role of community colleges.
Colleges across the country are struggling to recover from the massive upheaval to the 2019-20 semester wrought by COVID-19. Housing refunds and slashed budgets are bound to have long-term impacts for the institutions that survive. Some experts suggest community colleges may be the best equipped to ride out the storm and may have the greatest impact in helping America recover.