Southwest Mississippi Community College
- Southwest Mississippi Community College provides academic, career, and continuing education, meeting the diverse needs of the population at a reasonable cost. SMCC provides community services and promotes economic development through consultative and workforce training.
The teacher population of 81 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southwest Mississippi Community College||(MS) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||81 staff||138 staff|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Southwest Mississippi Community College is a two-year college that offers the freshman and sophomore level academic transfer courses, and vocational-technical programs. In 1908, the Mississippi legislature enacted legislation allowing counties to establish agricultural high schools. On April 7, 1916, the Pike County School Board voted to establish such a high school. The ideal spot for the new agricultural high school was Godbold's Mineral Wells, located in a picturesque setting just northeast of Summit. Godbold's Mineral Wells, a state and national resort noted for its mineral waters, had outlived its glory years, yet it proved to be the perfect location for an educational facility. On September 3, 1918, Superintendent James Murray Kenna, six faculty members, and approximately forty students began the Pike County Agricultural High School - an institution destined to become Southwest Mississippi Community College. The original campus consisted of classroom buildings, dormitories, and a comprehensive farm, including dairy, beef, and row-crop operations. Still located on its original site, Southwest continues to grow and develop. The campus, located on a sixty-acre plot, includes twenty-eight buildings, a football stadium, and a baseball field. The buildings are situated around a central lake with walks, bridges, and paths connecting the buildings. The remainder of the approximately 855 acres is now a tree farm. Southwest Mississippi Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree.
The nearest community college to Southwest Mississippi Community College is Northshore Technical College-Florida Parishes Branch Campus (35.0 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- n/a students | 35.00 Mi137 College Street
Greensburg,  LA  70441
(225) 222-4251 35.00n/a
- 3,029 students | 35.80 Mi1001 Co-Lin Lane
Wesson,  MS  39191
(601) 643-5101 35.803,029
- 3,752 students | 51.20 Mi1710 Sullivan Dr
Bogalusa,  LA  70427
(985) 732-6640 51.203,752
- n/a students | 54.10 Mi111 Pride Dr
Hammond,  LA  70401
- 771 students | 54.50 Mi3337 Hwy. 10
Jackson,  LA  70748
(225) 634-2636 54.50771
With serious mental health issues on the rise on college campuses nationwide, community colleges are scrambling to provide expanded mental health services to students.
We examine a new report at USA Today that shows employment rates for community college graduates have skyrocketed - and which of the fields where a community college degree is particularly helpful.
Who says college is just for the 18 - 22 year old crowd? In fact, more community colleges are recruiting students over the age of 50 - and for good reason!