Southwest Mississippi Community College
- Southwest Mississippi Community College provides academic, career, and continuing education, meeting the diverse needs of the population at a reasonable cost. SMCC provides community services and promotes economic development through consultative and workforce training.
|Southwest Mississippi Community College||(MS) Community College Avg.|
|Carnegie Classification||Associate's Colleges: Mixed Transfer/Vocational & Technical-High Traditional||Baccalaureate / Associates Colleges|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||81 staff||143 staff|
- Southwest Mississippi Community College is a two-year college that offers the freshman and sophomore level academic transfer courses, and vocational-technical programs. In 1908, the Mississippi legislature enacted legislation allowing counties to establish agricultural high schools. On April 7, 1916, the Pike County School Board voted to establish such a high school. The ideal spot for the new agricultural high school was Godbold's Mineral Wells, located in a picturesque setting just northeast of Summit. Godbold's Mineral Wells, a state and national resort noted for its mineral waters, had outlived its glory years, yet it proved to be the perfect location for an educational facility. On September 3, 1918, Superintendent James Murray Kenna, six faculty members, and approximately forty students began the Pike County Agricultural High School - an institution destined to become Southwest Mississippi Community College. The original campus consisted of classroom buildings, dormitories, and a comprehensive farm, including dairy, beef, and row-crop operations. Still located on its original site, Southwest continues to grow and develop. The campus, located on a sixty-acre plot, includes twenty-eight buildings, a football stadium, and a baseball field. The buildings are situated around a central lake with walks, bridges, and paths connecting the buildings. The remainder of the approximately 855 acres is now a tree farm. Southwest Mississippi Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award the Associate Degree.
- College Location Mi. Students
- n/a students | 35.00 Mi137 College Street
Greensburg,  LA  70441
(225) 222-4251 35.00n/a
- 3,094 students | 35.80 Mi1001 Co-Lin Lane
Wesson,  MS  39191
(601) 643-5101 35.803,094
- 4,733 students | 51.20 Mi65556 Centerpoint Blvd.
Lacombe,  LA  70445
(985) 545-1500 51.204,733
- n/a students | 54.10 Mi111 Pride Dr
Hammond,  LA  70401
- 771 students | 54.50 Mi3337 Hwy. 10
Jackson,  LA  70748
(225) 634-2636 54.50771