Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #2 - SAU Tech students gather to play a game of flag football!
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #3 - SAU Tech Students enjoy a game of basketball in the college's gym.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #4 - SAU Tech's Arkansas Fire Training Acadmey trains firefighters all over Arkansas.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #5 - The SAU Tech campus is located inside the Highland Industrial Park in East Camden, Arkansas.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #6 - Students get ready to move into SAU Tech housing with the help of family and friends.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #7 - SAU Tech's Multimedia program can preage you for a career in film, graphic design and web design and development.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #8 - SAU Tech students watch intently during Spring Fling activities
- Southern Arkansas University Tech, a comprehensive two-year college of the Southern Arkansas University system. SAU Tech offers a variety of associate degree and certificate programs designed for students who plan to enter the workforce, transfer to a university, or upgrade their skills in a specific area. Classes are conveniently scheduled and many of the courses are offered via the Internet, allowing even more flexibility in scheduling.
Southern Arkansas University Tech serves 769 students (60% of students are full-time).
The college's student:teacher ratio of 6:1 is lower than the state community college average of 9:1.
Minority enrollment is 30% of the student body (majority Black), which is less than the state average of 34%.
Quick Stats (2023)
- Enrollment: 769 students
- In-state tuition: $4,677
- Out-state tuition: $6,117
- Student:teacher ratio: 6:1
- Minority enrollment: 30%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
The teacher population of 123 teachers has grown by 200% over five years.
Southern Arkansas University Tech
(AR) Community College Avg.
At least 2 but less than 4 years
At least 2 but less than 4 years
The student population of Southern Arkansas University Tech has declined by 23% over five years.
The student:teacher ratio of 6:1 has decreased from 9:1 over five years.
The Southern Arkansas University Tech diversity score of 0.46 is less than the state average of 0.53. The school's diversity has declined by 23% over five years.
Student : Teacher Ratio
# Full-Time Students
# Part-Time Students
# Enrollment Undergraduate
# Full-Time Undergraduate Students
# Full-Time Graduate Students
# Part-Time Undergraduate Students
# Part-Time Graduate Students
Total Dormitory Capacity
% American Indian/Alaskan
% Two or more races
% Non Resident races
% Unknown races
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in less than 4 years)
College Completion Rate (Students who graduate in 4 years or more than 4 years)
Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
The public in-state tuition of $4,677 is more than the state average of $2,994. The in-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
The public out-state tuition of $6,117 is more than the state average of $4,750. The out-state tuition has stayed relatively flat over four years.
In-State Tuition Fees
Out-State Tuition Fees
% Students Receiving Some Financial Aid
Median Debt for Graduates
Median Debt for Dropouts
Source: 2021 (or latest year available) Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS) , School Administrators
- Southern Arkansas University Tech is a two-year college specializing in technical training and offers the first two years of a university transfer program. In addition to offering traditional classroom courses, SAU Tech offers a number of internet courses. The college has a large enrollment in its high school dual credit program. The college also operates the SAU Tech Career Academy, the Ouachita & Calhoun County Adult Education Centers, the Arkansas Fire Training Academy, and the Arkansas Environmental Academy. Southern Arkansas University Tech, Camden was created on April 5, 1967, as Southwest Technical Institute by Act 534 of the General Assembly of Arkansas. The purpose of the institute was to provide a technically trained workforce for the growing Highland Industrial Park where it was located. Seventy acres of land and six buildings were donated by the Brown Foundation of Houston, Texas which had purchased the Schumacher Naval Ammunition Depot for use as Highland Industrial Park. SAU Tech operates the Arkansas Fire Training Academy providing training to firefighters throughout the state as well as the Arkansas Environmental Academy, which also has a statewide mission of training individuals in the fields of wastewater and solid waste issues. The SAU Tech Career Academy provides a variety of career-technical education programs to high school students in our area and operates in conjunction with our high school concurrent credit programs. SAU Tech provides adult basic education and GED preparation through Ouachita & Calhoun County's Adult Education Center. Our Business and Industry Training Department provides customized training for the area companies. Southern Arkansas University Tech is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Southern Arkansas University Tech cost?
Southern Arkansas University Tech's tuition is approximately $4,677 for In-State students and $6,117 for Out-State students.
Microcredentials: Tailoring Learning Journeys in Robotics
Micro-credentials offer a unique opportunity for adult learners to tailor their learning journeys to their specific needs and career aspirations. In this article we explore micro-credentials in robotics.
How To Pay For A Community College Education
We look in-depth at how you can pay for a community college education.
April 07, 2023Spring 2023: Top 10 Job Fields
The job market is changing at warp speed. Find out which job fields are the most promising for community college graduates.