Southern Arkansas University Tech
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #2 - SAU Tech Students enjoy a game of basketball in the college's gym.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #3 - SAU Tech's Arkansas Fire Training Acadmey trains firefighters all over Arkansas.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #4 - The SAU Tech campus is located inside the Highland Industrial Park in East Camden, Arkansas.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #5 - Students get ready to move into SAU Tech housing with the help of family and friends.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #6 - SAU Tech's Multimedia program can preage you for a career in film, graphic design and web design and development.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #7 - Students in play indoors in the SAU Tech student center.
Southern Arkansas University Tech Photo #8 - SAU Tech students watch intently during Spring Fling activities
- Southern Arkansas University Tech, a comprehensive two-year college of the Southern Arkansas University system. SAU Tech offers a variety of associate degree and certificate programs designed for students who plan to enter the workforce, transfer to a university, or upgrade their skills in a specific area. Classes are conveniently scheduled and many of the courses are offered via the Internet, allowing even more flexibility in scheduling.
- The teacher population of 41 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five years.
|Southern Arkansas University Tech||(AR) Community College Avg.|
|Institution Level||At least 2 but less than 4 years||At least 2 but less than 4 years|
|Total Faculty||41 staff||62 staff|
|Total Enrollment||1,559 students||1,650 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||38:1||25:1|
|# Full-Time Students||525 students||724 students|
|# Part-Time Students||1,034 students||926 students|
|Total Dormitory Capacity||94||94|
|% American Indian/Alaskan|
|% Two or more races|
|% Non Resident races|
|% Unknown races|
|College Completion Rate|
|Average Graduate Earnings (10 Years)||$31,300||$28,600|
Source: 2016 (or latest year available) IPEDS
- Southern Arkansas University Tech is a two-year college specializing in technical training and offers the first two years of a university transfer program. In addition to offering traditional classroom courses, SAU Tech offers a number of internet courses. The college has a large enrollment in its high school dual credit program. The college also operates the SAU Tech Career Academy, the Ouachita & Calhoun County Adult Education Centers, the Arkansas Fire Training Academy, and the Arkansas Environmental Academy.Southern Arkansas University Tech, Camden was created on April 5, 1967, as Southwest Technical Institute by Act 534 of the General Assembly of Arkansas. The purpose of the institute was to provide a technically trained workforce for the growing Highland Industrial Park where it was located. Seventy acres of land and six buildings were donated by the Brown Foundation of Houston, Texas which had purchased the Schumacher Naval Ammunition Depot for use as Highland Industrial Park.SAU Tech operates the Arkansas Fire Training Academy providing training to firefighters throughout the state as well as the Arkansas Environmental Academy, which also has a statewide mission of training individuals in the fields of wastewater and solid waste issues. The SAU Tech Career Academy provides a variety of career-technical education programs to high school students in our area and operates in conjunction with our high school concurrent credit programs.SAU Tech provides adult basic education and GED preparation through Ouachita & Calhoun County's Adult Education Center. Our Business and Industry Training Department provides customized training for the area companies.Southern Arkansas University Tech is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.
- The nearest community college to Southern Arkansas University Tech is South Arkansas Community College (27.7 miles away).
- College Location Mi. Students
- 1,693 students | 27.70 Mi300 S West Ave
El Dorado,  AR  71731
- 1,360 students | 43.90 Mi2500 S Main
Hope,  AR  71801
- 1,444 students | 51.40 MiOne College Circle
Malvern,  AR  72104
- 128 students | 60.80 Mi605 W Boundary
Farmerville,  LA  71241
- 1,432 students | 63.40 Mi1900 Hazel St.
Pine Bluff,  AR  71603
Complaints about the current system of accrediting community colleges, combined with the quickly changing scope of community college education and how it’s delivered, may soon necessitate changes in the way that community college programs are accredited.
Community college enrollment is in decline, but some schools are refusing to roll over. Read on to learn the factors impacting enrollment rates and what some schools are doing to stay afloat.
In a time of change, the LGBTQ community is receiving more support than ever and the world is changing with each passing year. As a young adult member of the LGBTQ community, you have unique opportunities to take advantage of when preparing to enter college if you choose to. Keep reading to learn what you can expect to see during your college search and how best to prepare for your freshman year.