Southern Arkansas University Tech
- Southern Arkansas University Tech, a comprehensive two-year college of the Southern Arkansas University system. SAU Tech offers a variety of associate degree and certificate programs designed for students who plan to enter the workforce, transfer to a university, or upgrade their skills in a specific area. Classes are conveniently scheduled and many of the courses are offered via the Internet, allowing even more flexibility in scheduling.
- Enrollment: 1,102 students
- In-state tuition: $4,677
- Out-state tuition: $6,117
- Student:teacher ratio: 9:1
- Minority enrollment: 50%
- Source: Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
Tuition and Acceptance Rate
- Southern Arkansas University Tech is a two-year college specializing in technical training and offers the first two years of a university transfer program. In addition to offering traditional classroom courses, SAU Tech offers a number of internet courses. The college has a large enrollment in its high school dual credit program. The college also operates the SAU Tech Career Academy, the Ouachita & Calhoun County Adult Education Centers, the Arkansas Fire Training Academy, and the Arkansas Environmental Academy. Southern Arkansas University Tech, Camden was created on April 5, 1967, as Southwest Technical Institute by Act 534 of the General Assembly of Arkansas. The purpose of the institute was to provide a technically trained workforce for the growing Highland Industrial Park where it was located. Seventy acres of land and six buildings were donated by the Brown Foundation of Houston, Texas which had purchased the Schumacher Naval Ammunition Depot for use as Highland Industrial Park. SAU Tech operates the Arkansas Fire Training Academy providing training to firefighters throughout the state as well as the Arkansas Environmental Academy, which also has a statewide mission of training individuals in the fields of wastewater and solid waste issues. The SAU Tech Career Academy provides a variety of career-technical education programs to high school students in our area and operates in conjunction with our high school concurrent credit programs. SAU Tech provides adult basic education and GED preparation through Ouachita & Calhoun County's Adult Education Center. Our Business and Industry Training Department provides customized training for the area companies. Southern Arkansas University Tech is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and a member of the North Central Association.